Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 1894 44mag made in 1977. I just got this from a friend and it will not load a cartridge into the chamber. It looks like the lever isn't lifting the carrier up enough for the bolt to catch the back of the cartridge. If it does catch it, it just jams the bullet into the wall between the chamber and mag tube. The parts appear to be correct for the rifle by comparison. I cycled it with the loading gate out to get a better look at it and it looks like the lever just barely brushes against the carrier. It moves it about an 1/8" up and that's it. What am I overlooking? Please help!!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Do you know if the carrier is the style that has the pivoting bar on the left side OR the plunger stud style.

My guess is that you have the plunger stud style and either the retaining washer has come off or loose AND/OR the spring has come out.

If the spring has come out, it will look like a 2" piano wire all messed up.

Don't worry, as long as you still have the plunger stud.

Assuming it is this problem, you can use an appropriately sized ink pen spring and a 1/8" e-clip to put it all back together again and work perfect.

IF by chance your carrier has a pivoting bar on it, there is also a possibility that either the spring as broken or toooooo much crud has developed around it to keep it from functioning like its suppose to.

Feel free to call me if I can further explain and help you out.

865 / 984-4455

..........Widder

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
Welcome aboard Brad . . you have found the best Marlin site on the web . . there are some of the most Marlin knowledgeable people found here from around the world . . do some searches and you may find your problem already discussed and solved.
But check back often - someone will be able to provide you with answers or at least suggestions.

Gary

Reactions: Blackbarry

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. We all started as a Tenderfoot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Widowmaker. I believe it has the pivoting bar and it does function as far as I can tell. I can push on it and it pushes in. But its the small section of it that pushes in not the nub that sticks out to the side. I will look again later tonight.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Brad,

I worked on that style of 1894 Marlin before with the same symtoms. Everything looked o.k. until I punched out the pin holding that bar. There is a spring behind it so don't let it get lost.

Anyhow, it had become cruddy and had a burr or two on it from usage over the years. I smoothed up the edges of the slot on the carrier where the swivel bar goes and also the edges of the bar itself to help eliminate burrs. I cleaned it up good, put it back together and everything ran fine afterwards.

I hope your problem is as simple to fix

I'm trying to scan my brain as to anything else that could cause this problem.

Out of curiousity, your hammer isn't tripping itself and coming up into the underside portion of your bolt, is it?

..........Widder

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
Also - check that loading gate to make sure the screw hasn't come loose - it can jam the carrier and you can't figure out for the life of you why...
A quick check - does your lever extend all the way down or just part way?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well after looking at all kinds of pics of carries I finally saw that the carrier plunger is broke on the thin end. If you were looking down on the carrier as it sat in the receiver then it would be the left side. As i was typing this i realized i could have asked for pics on this forum. Im sure you guys would have abliged. The problem for me now is they dont sell just the carrier plunger only the assembly. So if anyone has one of these or knows where I can get one please let me know. If I had a drawing of one I have the capability to make it myself. Thank you again for the help.

·
Super Moderator
12,614 Posts
Midway USA has the "new style" carrier last I checked. I'm pretty sure it will fit the '77 but somebody who knows more'n me will chime in fer sure.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Brad,

at first, you thought it might be the pivoting bar style carrier.

But now, you refer to it as 'plunger'.

I might be able to help you fix the plunger style and if you prefer to call me, I can get a better understanding of your situation and hopefully help you fix it accordingly.

Normally, the 'plunger' itself doesn't brake. The retaining washer and/or spring will break, but not the plunger itself.

Call me today if possible. I can normally talk freely at work or at home this evening.

work: 865 / 215-3059
home: 865 / 984-4455

..........Widder

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
As you say, the individual small parts aren't sold for the newer cast carrier. Not hard to make, though. If you've still got the plunger, you've got all you need on hand. Just unstake the end with the washer on it, don't lose that or the spring, and use the lathe to make a new one. Make the lever end length a little less than the lever thickness, you may have to stone this shorter after installation. Use drill rod, harden and temper, my guess would be in the RC 40 range. Restake the washer and give it a try. Break the corner of the pin where it rides over the lever, that'll keep it from gouging out a channel. You can get the pin diameter from the broken end, I'm pretty sure it's the same as the staked end, though. Make two or three, just in case.

If it's a '77, someone has already replaced the carrier, they didn't start with the new style until a few years later. You might have gotten one of the first of the new-style ones. I've never seen one with a busted pin, but bubba may have tried forcing a jam with the lever and broken it. Usually, the staked washer comes loose and the parts go sproing into the receiver guts. Usually that's the call here for spare parts, "wadda I do now that "x" is missing?". "x" being pin, spring, washer or two of the three.

You might want to inspect the lever itself where the pin rides, I've seen some oldies with rounded corners that wouldn't time correctly, they were rounded off where the carrier rocker snapped across using the old-style carrier(lots of rounds through to get that way).

When setting things up, you can drop the lever, pull the bolt and ejector, then reinstall the lever. Watch the carrier through the bolt slot as you work the lever. Pretty easy to see what's going on that way. Use several dummies to see if you're going to get the "Marlin jam" aka "letting two in".

Stan S.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im sure its obvious but just want to say I'm learning all of this as I go. Im calling it a plunger because I read that somewhere while I was trying to find the problem. It is officially the PIVOTING BAR STYLE carrier. The pivoting bar is broke and I need another one. Or like I said some way to look at one so I can make a drawing to machine another one. I tried to call you Widowmaker and I'll keep trying. Thank you. If anyone has one of these parts or an old carrier with it then I will buy it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for your help so far Widder. I posted on Broken Guns Face Book page saying what I needed and a guy out of South Carolina said he had one and told me it was in the mail coming to me today. Assuming its the right part I will be up and running soon. I cant wait to come out and learn from you Widder. Thank you all.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
One big happy family.:marchmellow:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.