Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag in good condition, Should I get it ?? Shop is trying to reduce inventory.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yeah, hop on it! It will make good trading stock if nuttin' else! SW

·
Registered
14 Posts
Went to the Tulsa gun show last week looking for a 44mag "94" all the used rifles/carbines were priced at almost new list.
If she looks to have good rifling you better jump fast. Even if she's not real pretty you can clean her up and give her a new muzzle crown if need be. Dadnabbit, can't even find a used one around here in Wichita, everybody must love thier little 44mag "94's"

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, please forgive my ignorance, I have never owned a 44mag.
What would be the attraction of buying the 1894 in 44mag outside of historical or nostalgia of it. I know it does not have the long range trajectory or accuracy of rifle cartridges, I even hear guys say they will never get anotherMarlin 44mag because on inconsistant accuracy. Yet there seems to be something special about them. Help me understand them and want one they way you loyal Marlin owners do!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Even if you just buy it to resell it, I'm sure you could find someone who'd take it off your hands for more than $200.

Now quit reading MarlinOwners, and go buy that rifle!

G

·
Rogmatt,

I can honestly say that my Marlin 1894S in 44 is my fun gun. Like my .22 used to be. I can load very accurate 44spls for plinking or the magnums for shooting and plinking. I used to live out in the woods far enough to shoot in my back yard and had a 50yd shooting range. Of course, I reload every thing that I shoot in it and that means mostly lead bullets, hard cast and swaged. But I bought it new back in '98 and it has a 20" barrel, 38" twist, and ballard rifling. I've just started casting the Lyman #429421-245grn Keith type, plain base bullet for it and was worried about my rifle cycling a 1.690"-1.700" round to catch the crimp groove. It does cycle the round and it's been my most accurate at 100yd shooting of any that I've tried, jkt or cast. I haven't hunted with it because I have several other rifles but think it would be great for hogs or whitetail around here. I didn't think I would have so much fun just shooting and reloading for it but I did. Now, do I really need that Marlin 94 in .357 that I've been thinking about? BM

Bill

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rogmat, There may be some nostalgia and historical attraction, but there is also the light weight and power of the rifle. You can come fairly close to the .30-30 in terms of ft/lbs of energy, yet save a couple inches in overall length, save a pound in weight, and put a larger hole in what you are shooting at. Makes locating that blood trail a little easier, if necessary.

Now, there may be times I use a different rifle to hunt with, but an 1894 is always around as a back up or spare rifle in case someone else's goes down, or they have the misfortune of dropping their rifle and damaging the scope beyond field repair. Plus, with .44 specials it does make a nice plinking gun around camp, and the shorter lever throw over the 336, 1895 is nice as well. Very handy to have around. I was suprised at how much I liked the rifle when I first bought one. I was thinking some of the same things you did, especially about a rifle chambered for a handgun cartridge.

At the ranges it is good for, the accuracy is not a problem at all. This is not a 350 yard flat shooter - but it is a very nice 100- 150 yard rifle, and for the price, you cannot beat it. With a scope and some elevation adjustments, you can shoot further.

Go get it, you will be amazed at how much/often you will shoot it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went back to the shop today to see if it was still there, and it was. I looked it over again and was amazed at how good the condition is.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Rogmatt,

You got a helluva a deal there... I think you'll enjoy the rifle, it's just a fun and handy carbine. Of course it's not the equal of a 30-06 at long ranges, but it's a hard-hitting round out of a carbine at 100 yds or less.

It holds 10 rds and it's very sleek and light to carry afield.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Rogmatt said:
I went back to the shop today to see if it was still there, and it was. I looked it over again and was amazed at how good the condition is. Price was marked 195.00 as he is being aggresive with his pricing to try to sell his inventory which is higher than he would like (Pawn shop). I offered him 175.00 out the door. He accepted. I gave him 60.00 down, and will pay the rest in the weeks to come so my wife won't be able to notice.
He rang it up as 160.38 + 9.62 tax + 5.00 call-in = 175.00
I will be shoping more often. He has some other guns I may take on as project guns. What would be the going rate for this gun if I ever wanted to sell it to an individual(not saying I would)?? I will post pic when I bring it home.
Rog,
I've been hunting high and low for one in the second hand racks,,,,, comin' to the conclusion that I'm just gonna' have to get a new one. Lol, wanna' turn a quick profit? PM me!
Cheers,
R*2

1 - 17 of 17 Posts