Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone else's 44 Magnum has any deposits left by firing on the outside of the empty cartridge cases? Mine has some, some brands worse than others, with Hornady ammo there is hardly any.Thanks.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Yes, Most straight walled cases will do that. You can reduce that by switching to a cleaner faster powder. Not full length resizing, this in itself will help your accuracy, while sealing your chamber better.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Powder deposits...

I cannot see any logical reason why you should be concerned about a bit of powder fouling on the outside of a case that is fired in any particular firearm, especially, straight cased pistol cartridges! I have been experiencing some level of powder fouling on any case that I load for regardless if its straight walled or shouldered. The shouldered cases never become fouled beyond the neck and straight walled pistol cartridges of 357, 41 and 44 magnum are always fouled to some extent along the outside of the case. Camber dimension plays some role in this regard, but I have serious doubts that it is anything to be concerned about.

As for NOT fully resizing a straight walled cartridge case? I would consider that as something to experiment with, but certainly not something to employ as any sort of "fix" for the "smoking" of the outside of straight walled cases upon firing. Reliability in feeding is important in any lever, pump or auto action and full length sizing is paramount to that.

I would not be the least bit concerned about "smoked exteriors" on any of my straight walled cases, some things are merely a nature of the beast proposition that must be contended with.

·
Registered
315 Posts
wiktor said:
I was just wondering if anyone else's 44 Magnum has any deposits left by firing on the outside of the empty cartridge cases? Mine has some, some brands worse than others, with Hornady ammo there is hardly any.Thanks.
wiktor,
One thing that no one has mentioned is the possibility that you've got a dirty chamber. As that powder blows back it's lining ur chamber, the next round leaves a lil more,,,, and full sized cases will be undersized to ur chamber. Neck sizing only on straight walled cases is perfectly legitimate and will make an accuracy difference in my experience.
For hunting purposes, I check each every reloaded round by cycling thru the action.
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
117 Posts
Also of note is peak pressure of your load.

I have practice lead loads that fouls the case on the outside badly due to the fact the chamber of my 1894 is of the 'generous' type and the pressure of 6 grains of Unique never really expands the case to really seal completely.

Now when I touch off some of the 300g XTP on top of max H110 lit with Mag primers, no powder residue on out side of case.

After plinking and practicing with my 'fun' and cheap lead loads I always make it a point to clean the chamber and bolt area as there is a lot of powder residue due to leakage back.

There is nothing dangerous with these low pressure loads, but cleaning is different and the fact that I know there is some leakage back I ALWAYS wear shooting glasses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts