Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find out if this is worth 500.

Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum, manufactured in 1976, pre-safety model, in excellent condition. Gun shoots and functions flawlessly, wood is immaculate, previous owner had the gun professionally cerakoted flat black, base and rings cerakoted to match

44.jpg

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now don't everybody chime in at once

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Well I guess I have time to "Chime IN" :hmmmm:

YEP,,,IF you like it. Do you think its worth $500 :questionmark: If you do Buy It!

BloodGroove4570

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just don't know, just got into marlins about a month ago. I have 2 336 30-30s from the 60's and 336sc .35 from '62. So basically I only know crap about 336's, and I am not really sure I know anything about them for that matter

Reactions: windy

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well with the ones you have mentioned, your off to a great start. If I had the funds and a 44 pre safety was available for that price, I would buy it for sure.

Well, the wife says we don't have the funds, that is why I am looking for validation :)

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I guess I have time to "Chime IN" :hmmmm:

YEP,,,IF you like it. Do you think its worth $500 :questionmark: If you do Buy It!

BloodGroove4570

and wasn't trying to be rude, just trying to get it back up to the top, I knew nobody saw it

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
The rifle, if indeed is in good shape is worth 500. I dont know the cost to coat the rilfe, but that even adds to the value, if you are a hunter. If you want to collect marlins, I would maybe look a one thats all original. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
QUOTE=comanche8f;1732990]Just don't know, just got into marlins about a month ago. I have 2 336 30-30s from the 60's and 336sc .35 from '62. So basically I only know crap about 336's, and I am not really sure I know anything about them for that matter[/QUOTE]

Comanche,
There really isn't that much to know. The 336 comes from the ancestor the 1893 which was designed for a heavier action than the Marlin 1892. The 1894 has a less powerful action than say the 1895. That's why you won't see a .38-55 or a .45-70 in an 1894 Marlin.

As to worth it on the 1894 .44 mag @ $500, yes it is worth it. Run don't walk and buy that sucker! It will make a great companion if you have a .44 piece. :)
Here are 2 pics of a .44 mag I bought while I was in the hospital & depressed.

John

Attachments

Reactions: comanche8f

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
For the $500 it's worth it IMO. If you like the finish that's a plus n icing on the cake...

The price is definitely in line.

Good luck
Blood

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rifle, if indeed is in good shape is worth 500. I dont know the cost to coat the rilfe, but that even adds to the value, if you are a hunter. If you want to collect marlins, I would maybe look a one thats all original. Hope this helps.
\

I definitely like original. 2 of my 3 are completely original, one in mint. I do like to hunt, I am buying synthetic stocks for them so when I go to the woods I won't scratch up the wood too much. I just didn't know about the cerekote though, I know it cost about 200 done right, but I didn't know how others looked upon doing that to them, as opposed to maybe getting them re blued.

Thanks for all of your guys input

Reactions: drjjpdc

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
Comanche,
Don't worry about the stocks that much. Around these parts, that is called "honest wear" & is most desirable in an older gun. Think of old furniture and how the value goes down if refinishing is evident.

JJP

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yep, good price on 44mag. Let me know if you don't take it, perhaps I can work out a deal with the owner. I need a Marlin 1894 44mag to keep my S&W 44mag company. Oops there is that word need again, which means the wife will have the rolling pin after me, again. :biggrin:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just checked Gun Broker; $500 is a good buy if you like the Cerakote finish.
I paid close to that for a 1979 model in 2006, and was glad to have it.
On that one I had to re-blue it, spend 3-hours scrubbing lead from the lands, and work the groove out of the finger lever which was caused by the carrier; it was causing feeding problems.
It's been a great shooter ever since.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Todays price range on a 1894 with or without having CBS is about $700 to $900. IMO having the finish changed will drop the price. So $500 is fair if you like that finish.

RIck

·
Registered
839 Posts
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. This model has the old style ejector, no CBS and has been Ceracoted. I don't mind the finish and can go either way with the safety. Having a part that is known to break and is somewhat hard to find is what is what scares me. If I'm wrong on the ejector, I'd grab it up at $500, if I'm right I'd try and get the price down. I'm saying that because with the finish I'd have no fear throwing my worst at it.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I passed on it and it sold. I think I would just like one original. Thanks for everyones input... kind of wish I would have gotten it though.

Reactions: Deadwood Pike

·
Registered
839 Posts
Keep checking, you'll get what you want if you're willing to not be in a hurry. I'm not sure of your situation, but I drive a lot for work and drop in to pawn shops a small LGS when I can. The word of the value of JM rifles is getting out, so you have to be patient and find the right opportunity. These opportunities are out there they're just a little tougher to find.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts