Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find out if this is worth 500.

Marlin 1894 in 44 Magnum, manufactured in 1976, pre-safety model, in excellent condition. Gun shoots and functions flawlessly, wood is immaculate, previous owner had the gun professionally cerakoted flat black, base and rings cerakoted to match

Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Shotgun

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now don't everybody chime in at once

·
Premium Member
8,603 Posts
Well I guess I have time to "Chime IN" :hmmmm:

YEP,,,IF you like it. Do you think its worth $500 :questionmark: If you do Buy It!

BloodGroove4570

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just don't know, just got into marlins about a month ago. I have 2 336 30-30s from the 60's and 336sc .35 from '62. So basically I only know crap about 336's, and I am not really sure I know anything about them for that matter

Reactions: windy

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well with the ones you have mentioned, your off to a great start. If I had the funds and a 44 pre safety was available for that price, I would buy it for sure.

Well, the wife says we don't have the funds, that is why I am looking for validation :)

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I guess I have time to "Chime IN" :hmmmm:

YEP,,,IF you like it. Do you think its worth $500 :questionmark: If you do Buy It!

BloodGroove4570

and wasn't trying to be rude, just trying to get it back up to the top, I knew nobody saw it

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
QUOTE=comanche8f;1732990]Just don't know, just got into marlins about a month ago. I have 2 336 30-30s from the 60's and 336sc .35 from '62. So basically I only know crap about 336's, and I am not really sure I know anything about them for that matter[/QUOTE]

Comanche,
There really isn't that much to know. The 336 comes from the ancestor the 1893 which was designed for a heavier action than the Marlin 1892. The 1894 has a less powerful action than say the 1895. That's why you won't see a .38-55 or a .45-70 in an 1894 Marlin.

As to worth it on the 1894 .44 mag @ $500, yes it is worth it. Run don't walk and buy that sucker! It will make a great companion if you have a .44 piece. :)
Here are 2 pics of a .44 mag I bought while I was in the hospital & depressed.

John

Attachments

Reactions: comanche8f

·
Premium Member
8,603 Posts
For the $500 it's worth it IMO. If you like the finish that's a plus n icing on the cake...

The price is definitely in line.

Good luck
Blood

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The rifle, if indeed is in good shape is worth 500. I dont know the cost to coat the rilfe, but that even adds to the value, if you are a hunter. If you want to collect marlins, I would maybe look a one thats all original. Hope this helps.
\

I definitely like original. 2 of my 3 are completely original, one in mint. I do like to hunt, I am buying synthetic stocks for them so when I go to the woods I won't scratch up the wood too much. I just didn't know about the cerekote though, I know it cost about 200 done right, but I didn't know how others looked upon doing that to them, as opposed to maybe getting them re blued.

Thanks for all of your guys input

Reactions: drjjpdc

·
Premium Member
2,560 Posts
Comanche,
Don't worry about the stocks that much. Around these parts, that is called "honest wear" & is most desirable in an older gun. Think of old furniture and how the value goes down if refinishing is evident.

JJP

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yep, good price on 44mag. Let me know if you don't take it, perhaps I can work out a deal with the owner. I need a Marlin 1894 44mag to keep my S&W 44mag company. Oops there is that word need again, which means the wife will have the rolling pin after me, again. :biggrin:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just checked Gun Broker; $500 is a good buy if you like the Cerakote finish.
I paid close to that for a 1979 model in 2006, and was glad to have it.
On that one I had to re-blue it, spend 3-hours scrubbing lead from the lands, and work the groove out of the finger lever which was caused by the carrier; it was causing feeding problems.
It's been a great shooter ever since.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. This model has the old style ejector, no CBS and has been Ceracoted. I don't mind the finish and can go either way with the safety. Having a part that is known to break and is somewhat hard to find is what is what scares me. If I'm wrong on the ejector, I'd grab it up at $500, if I'm right I'd try and get the price down. I'm saying that because with the finish I'd have no fear throwing my worst at it.

·
Banned
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I passed on it and it sold. I think I would just like one original. Thanks for everyones input... kind of wish I would have gotten it though.

Reactions: Deadwood Pike

·
Registered
826 Posts
Keep checking, you'll get what you want if you're willing to not be in a hurry. I'm not sure of your situation, but I drive a lot for work and drop in to pawn shops a small LGS when I can. The word of the value of JM rifles is getting out, so you have to be patient and find the right opportunity. These opportunities are out there they're just a little tougher to find.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.