Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has always been a common thread when reading about Marlin lever guns and their 1894 .44 mags when perusing the various forums. Accuracy! Or, lack there of it. I love Single action six-guns! A good lever gun just seems to be a natural companion to our favorite hip shooter. Many people being stout followers of the Grand old man himself, Sir Elmer, the .44 mag is a justifiable choice. The only problem was that if you wanted a Marlin lever gun, you would be frustrated trying to get the thing to shoot decent groups. Jacketed, cast, hard, soft, checked, plain base, it didn't matter. The Marlins were more finicky than a 10 year old at a vegetarian buffet. When I shot mine, I actually scoped it after several range sessions thinking the large groups were my fault. Once scoped, the groups remained the same. The scope was removed, and the gun banished to the back of the safe, to the non interesting, or remedial group of poorly mannered shooters.

Alas, the sentimental side of me loves a happy ending. A few weeks ago, I stumbled into PC(powder coating) bullets. To say I was impressed, would be a huge under statement. Long story short, the PC bullets appear to be to greatest innovation to cast bullet shooters since invention of the humble gas check. With the extremely positive results I obtained with six-guns, and a 1894c .357 Marlin, I got to thinking of that lonely .44 mag lever gun. Would PC bullets coax it to better accuracy? With nothing to lose but a try, I dug out the rifle, dusted it off, and loaded up some ammo.

I loaded up three different bullets, all over a stiff charge of 22 grs of H110. First was a Lyman 250 gr RFN cowboy bullet of plain base design, second was a 280 gr WFNGC design, and lastly, a 265gr Ranchdog designed slug with gas check. I also loaded some of the Ranchdog slugs without GC to experiment.

First up was the plain base Lyman 250 gr slug. 10 shot groups at 50 yards would be the test norm. Looking thru the peep sight after the first 4 shots, I could make out a hole in the target. I shot the fifth round, loaded 5 more, and then checked the target. The blue painters tape is 1.5" .

Damn! This was the best group ever shot by this gun! I had to shoot again! see if this wasn't some kind of cruel fluke. 10 more down the pipe.

WhooHoo! Things are looking up! Next up was the RanchDog bullet with gas check applied. 10 shots, 50 yards. check the target.

Looking good! I'm getting excited! Now to try 10 RanchDog bullets without a gas check. same routine. 10 shots, 50 yards. Check the target.

By this time, it would take a bulldozer to wipe the grin off my face. I got it to shoot. These darn PC bullets are something else! Lastly, I tried a WFN slug weighing in at 280 grs dressed with a gas check. You know the drill. 10 shots, 50 yards. Check the target.

As I mentioned in my previous post, the more I shoot these PC bullets, the more impressed I am. I also shot a .45 colt Bisley Hunter and a rather troubled 4" Ruger RH that always gave me fits. But that is another story for another day. I will give you a hint. I'm still smiling and in a state of amazement.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Is the powder coating abrasive? My experience with PC is it is a very hard coating and while it adheres well it seems brittle to me. I have not used a PC bullet. The results look great though.
And Welcome to Marlin Owners from NE Indiana

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congratulations, I've been shooting some PC bullets lately and have good results too. Solved a leading problem for me in a Colt 357 mag too. Maybe I need to look for a 44 to go wi t have my 1894 357. Looks like you solved it.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Yup, Jeff, I'm having the same kind of results in 45-70, 30-30 and yesterday 38 Special. Powdercoating bumps up the boolit diameter in those fussy rifles and leaves 'em clean. Also, lite 30-30 loads are cheaper than today's 22lr cost.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Who makes them?(or is PC a home remedy right now?) it is new to me- I am familiar with it as a motorcycle and automotive subject - not on bullets,I do cross reference the uses of various materials,liquids sprays and finishes between guns ,motorcycle/auto,and woodworking and metal work as I dabble in all. My interests run in a kind of "Rolodex "and guns in general,Marlins in particular have popped up in the "Rolodex "of my interests at this point!As in the original poster,I love my 1894, but have always felt accuracy needs to be better ,this usually ends in the 1895,or the one of the three 336's being chosen as the rifle of the day on deer day -or the Mauser-the.44 has never yet tasted blood - not in my ownership anyway,though it is such a sweet handful of rifle, I feel it should have it's day in court!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Looks like the PC done the trick! ;)
I'm gonna start myself soon PC'ing some 265gr 44's and 430gr 45-70. Everyone seems to be havin Great results like yourself....

Please let us know how that other session was with the 6 guns! I look forward to hearing more results!

Thanks
BloodGroove4570

PS
Welcome to MarlinOwners from New York!!!

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Mighty impressive first post there Jeff! Welcome from Ky! Now I've one more item on my list of things I want to try. Thanks for the report. Good job!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
trapper, I load one round and see if it chambers. If it does, I load up a bunch. I'm all about convenience and loading ammo as fast as I can so I can shoot more. Some guns require sizing to chamber. LEE push thru size dies are just the ticket if needed.

shootrj2003, I cast and PC my own bullets. Pretty simple process, really.

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/13565/pc-bullets

This link may help explain it better.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Looks good Jeff.

I too am Powder Coating, I size before and after and am having great results

Reactions: SC Reb

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
After I read up on the subject figured it out ,thanks,I do motor sickles and such and I think a low price unit is calling to me to play with!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts