Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have researched old posts to find a cast bullet source for this rifle. Many have said that a cast bullet of .359 to .360 is needed for optimum accuracy.

Unless you cast your own bullets which I don't there is not many cast bullets offered in the heavier bullet weight of .359 to .360 diameter.

Missouri bullets offers a 180 gr. cast bullet but in .358 diameter only. I dont feel comfortable ordering these due to bullet diameter.

What am I missing??

Chocdog

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
Dardas Cast Bullets (one of the forum sponsors) offers 158 gr RNFP in .359 and their prices are quite reasonable and I've heard good stuff on their bullets. Hope that helps! John

·
Registered
226 Posts
Have you called Missouri Bullets to see if they will cast some in a larger size? I know they did a batch with a different Brinell hardness for me. The only catch is they made me order 1000 before they'd do it. I'd make the call and see what they say. And then report back, if you don't mind.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Shooting either .356, .357 and .358 diameter bullets hasn't been a problem in either one of my .357 rifles. That goes for cast or jacketed. I love shooting 9mm (.356 Diameter) bullets in my rifle.

What I have found is they all like slow burning powder (AA #9, H110). None of the 4 marlins I own like fast burning flake type shotgun powders. They spray both lead and jacketed bullets all over the place when I use flake powder.

I don't know where you heard that you need a larger diameter bullet, but I think it is hearsay. I have commercially cast bullets for years and have never had ANYONE need oversized bullets when shooting them in Marlin rifles. Some of the OLD cold revolvers needed oversized bullets, but that is a different topic all together. The .357 rifles are HIGHLY unpicky and are extremely accurate with multiple loads and bullets. Flinch

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I just bought a box of .357 158gr RNFP from Dardas and they shoot very well in my 1894. I was using .357 cast SWC from TN Cartridge that I bought locally and they shot OK, but I think the Dardas bullets are more accurate. I switched to the .358 after having leading problems in my Taurus revolver. Neither the .357 or .358 gave me leading problems in the Marlin.
I use 13.5 gr AA#9 with CCI 500 primers. It's a pretty stout load, but I don't think pressures are ridiculous. I'm pretty confident the Marlin could handle a stronger load, but I'm worried about shooting anything hotter in the handgun. I've also got some 98 gr in .356 for my .380, and I thought about loading some of those up just for the heck of it.
GH1 :)

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Slug your bore, and order bullets one to two thousandths bigger. Simple as that. 8)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Like Papajohn said, slug your bore and you may find that like me you have a .356 barrel in which case a 180gr .358 bullet should work for you.
I use a 180 gr commercial .358 PB FP pushed with a moderate load of 2205 (same as 4227 ) and can get 1.25" at 50 with 5 shot groups fairly consistently.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I love shooting 9mm (.356 Diameter) bullets in my rifle.

I have a new Marlington 1894 C 357. I slugged the barrel and I think I could run a .356. I have 200 jacketed .356 and no 9mm. Where would a guy start power/fps wise just to get ride of them and maybe knock the rough edges off the new barrel? Not trying to high-jack your thread just a quick question.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
161, what weight bullet? That kinda matters.

My first 1894C (20 years ago) had a bore so tight I could get away with using lead .355" bullets in it with no leading unless I drove them too hot. I had a buddy who knew I was buying bullets for a 9mm and was convinced I was a closet 9mm guy who wouldn't admit it. Then I let him shoot my Marlin, and he finally understood. They shot really well, too! I wish I still had that rifle................ ::)

·
Registered
52 Posts
161, what weight bullet? That kinda matters.

Sorry, 115 JHP and FMJ the loader is set up for Unique now. The Lyman #49 said 5.8-6.5 for a 110gr. and 4-6 for the 125gr of Unique in a 38sp. I thought about 6 gr. but I'm a little shy of non published loads.

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Six Grains of Unique should do you fine, you might even be able to work up a little hotter if the gun says it's okay. But I'd start at about 5.3 or so to see how the gun handles it, and what kind of accuracy you get. 8)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I shoot laser cast .358 158gr fp in my 1894. I drive them pretty hard with lil gun. Good accuracy and no leading to speak of.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts