Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally found a Marlin 1894 357..just happen to log on to CalGuns and there she was..seller says he bought it new about 15 years ago but according to the serial number 19xxxxx the rifle was mfg in 1981 if I'm not mistaken..North Haven Conn barrel stamped with JM stamp and white button on bottom of stock...check out that stock..it is beautiful..I'm excited..

Attachments

·
Registered
569 Posts
Very nice! I'd love to pick one up in .357 to go with my .44! Makes a great coyote gun.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks McyNHMarlin she will make a great little sister to my 1981 Marlin 336 30-30 I pick up tomorrow:) hey they were mgf in same year..that makes them twin sisters??

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Beautiful gun. I know you will love it. Mine is a bit younger with a cross bolt safety. Great fun to shoot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
They are great fun! Mine is not JM stamped however. Enjoy, you scored yourself a real beauty!!

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Yah, the CBS and checkered stocks do indicate she's younger than 1981, still a super nice carbine. Congrats to you. DP

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Ditto on the DOM. I thought the 1894C's from the early 80's had the front sight dovetailed into the barrel, not mounted on a ramp.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Also early 80s had the black plastic buttplate with the white spacer. Mine doesn't anymore, but then I put a new stock on it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so now Im confused..I thought the major identifier for the rifle would be the serial number..this serial number is clearly 19xxxxxx
not that it matters it is clearly a JM stamped pre remi rifle..

·
Registered
799 Posts
Where is the serial number located? Could the numbers be mixed up and start with 91? That would be a 2009 model and would fit that time periods features.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
19XXXX Ser# is definitely 1981 YOM (year of manu) but I'm thinking maybe the seller is mistaken on it....? Like already mentioned that gun has the "HBS" hammer block safety (started in 1983/84) and if it was an 81 it would have the front sight dovetailed in the bbl behind front bbl band.

Nice gun no matter how you slice it though!

Let us know how it turns out and what YOM it is when you get her home!!!!

ENJOY
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Where is the serial number located? Could the numbers be mixed up and start with 91? That would be a 2009 model and would fit that time periods features.
the serial number is on top right behind the trigger..heres a photo..it also appears the last 2 1digits are DD? This is an excerpt from Marlin 1894 serial number search:"1984 was the first year of the cross bolt safety. In the mid-to late 1990s, Marlin changed the .357 and .44 barrels from 12-groove-or-more "Micro-Groove" rifling to 6-groove "Ballard" style rifling to better accommodate lead cast bullets used by cowboy action shooters..I'm going to put her in jail this morning Ill take some better pictyres and clearly get serial number and identify if it is ballard or micro grooved barrel..either way she is Noth Haven Conn JM stamped and awlful purdy
11-4.jpg

·
Registered
359 Posts
Safety, no safety, year of manufacture...who gives a damn...I'd kill for a stock that beautiful...one spectacular piece of wood. Hope it shoots as well as it looks.

I had mine out for a spring shoot this morning, to clear the cobwebs...Hornady 158 XTP's and a mild dose of Herco got me a three shot group that was way less than1/2" sitting from 27yds. Wish those superb bullets were cheaper, I'd buy a thousand...I'd suggest a Williams or Lyman Peep sight for that new carbine...my Williams FP cut my groups in half.

Best Regards, and congrats on a mighty fine carbine. Rod

Reactions: BFPGW
1 - 20 of 27 Posts