Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just worked out a deal for an 1893 in 32HPS that was made in 1910-1912. This rifle is 26" round barrel with full mag and crescent butt. It also comes with a period Lyman tang sight. Won't get it right away , will take me about 6 weeks to pay for , but I can't wait :wink:

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Congrats 6Pt. :D

What exactly is a 32HPS?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leverdude , 32HPS is what Marlin called the 32 Winchester Speciel.

HPS is short for High Power Speciel I believe .

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Thanks 6pt. Thats kinda what I was leaning towards but thought there might be another 32 cal out there I didn't know about.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
That must make about 4 1893's for you now! Congratulations! We will see pictures, wont we?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Five actually 25-36 , 30-30 , 32-40 , 32HPS and 38-55 . I would put in all kinds of pics if I could figure out how to get the dam things on here. I emailed Gunjunkie some pics right after Xmas to post and he couldn't get them on either.
Back to the 93's , MM93 how hard are the sporting carbines to get . I've seen a couple 32HPS's on gunbroker but never a 30-30 . Seems that the avg price is about $700 is that about right in what you have seen ?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I don't see enough sporting carbines to really gauge what they're going for. I don't look at internet auctions often either, so I'd be guessing. I think what you've seen is probably pretty close.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Hey 6Pt, I'll put the pictures up if you'ld like. :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have two recently acquired 93 Sporting Carbines, one in 30 30 and one in 32, the first was 700$ and the Second was 695$. I may have paid too much but they are both in nice shape, hardly any case coloring but otherwise 85 percent. I got the 32 last night at auction and took a chance because the buttplate is like a mod 1936 istead of the one more typical of the sporting carbine (oval with Marlin inside), could this be factory?

·
Registered
397 Posts
The sporting carbines are actually more rare than they get credit for. I don't think any one caliber is any more rare than the other. The fact of the matter is that they were made late in the 1893 production and therefore don' t get the recognition that the antique s/n"s do. But there weren't nearly as many of them produced as one would expect.
If you can find a nice one, snap it up.

WB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
timcornish said:
I have two recently acquired 93 Sporting Carbines, one in 30 30 and one in 32, the first was 700$ and the Second was 695$. I may have paid too much but they are both in nice shape, hardly any case coloring but otherwise 85 percent. I got the 32 last night at auction and took a chance because the buttplate is like a mod 1936 istead of the one more typical of the sporting carbine (oval with Marlin inside), could this be factory?

Did your 32HPS come from gunbroker and a dealer in Florida ?

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Re: sporting carbine

timcornish said:
I read somewhere that only 20,000 sporting carbines were made. Dores any body know about buttplate variations?
i've only seen the two styles of buttplates on Sporting carbines. The old one with circle that has "MFAC" inside and "Marlin" above, "Safety" below the circle. The other was the checkered with oval, and "Marlin" inside the oval.
If your's was replaced with a later buttplate, it's no big deal, as repros are readily available from Vintage Grips, or Gun Parts Corp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts