Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
** PHOTOS ADDED A FEW POSTS DOWN **

Hi-

The following is available in my area and I was wondering what a fair price would be assuming good condition:

Marlin 1893
chambered in .30-30 with a 26" octagon barrel, cresent steel buttplate and full length magazine, made in 1898. It has a period correct Lyman tang sightthat has been tapped to accept apertures for modern Lyman and Marbles tang sights 3 of which are included. The front and rear sightsare also modern replacements.

(I know its hard without photos - working on that - but hoping for ballparks so I know how interested to be...or not be)

And is it possible to shoot modern 30-30 ammo in it? Or would softer loaded reloads be necessary?

Anything in particular to look for when evaluating quality, safety, uniqueness and value?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
I'm probably not a good one to offer a opinion but I will say this much. About all a person can do is watch the auction sites and get a feel for the selling prices at certain levels of condition. I've purchased two in the last few weeks and pretty much violated all the don't do's and probably a couple other pieces of wisdom. If your looking for a shooter quality and the outward appearance suits you then function and bore quality need to be accessed. My first one looks awesome and has a decent bore, but a bulged chamber. Pretty much means a replacement barrel or reline. Jury still out on the second. So be aware of what lurks within. Hopefully someone way more learned will come along shortly with better advise. Best of luck and post some pics if you can.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Without photos, can't say. It can range from 600 an up for a shooter too 2500 for a minty standard model in 30-30 then goes up for other Calibers and deluxe and special orders

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, here's a few photos from the owner. More to come such of the end of the barrel, etc. But hopefully this can help...

He says it shoots great with modern factory ammo, a bit less consistent with cast bullet reloads. Here's how he put it in case this helps some of you knowledgeable guru's evaluate things (the dimension stuff means little to me): "It is good to go with modern ammo. I bought some .310" bullets to load for it and they shot miserably. So I bought a box of factory ammo and shot a 1/2" 3 shot group from 50yds. Then I slugged the bore. It slugged .310" which is why the lead was a no-go."

Again, any guidance on value, desirability, etc.? I like Octagon barrels so it caught my eye, but just don't know enough to self-evaluate an oldie like this.

Marlin 1893 30-30 (1).jpg Marlin 1893 30-30 (2).jpg Marlin 1893 30-30 (3).jpg Marlin 1893 30-30 (4).jpg Marlin 1893 30-30 (5).jpg

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
It's a standard rifle, it looks pretty good, wood doesn't look sanded, the blue is fading too blue brown. Sounds like a good bore. The Lyman tang sight a plus, missing factory sights a minus. I would say 700-800

1 - 5 of 5 Posts