Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
5,003 Posts
Hey there BA -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. I would bet a couple nickels that the hole in your bolt is damaged or gunked up from abuse it received from the broken firing pin. There is no firing pin return spring in an1893 bolt. The only spring that should be in there is a flat spring that pushes the rear firing pin down and out of battery until the lever closes the bolt enough to allow the locking lug to come up and push it into battery. Here is the firing pin and flat spring...

View attachment 100648

The tab on the end of the spring goes in the slot on the end of the bolt, and should look like this assembled...

View attachment 100649

You might consider taking your bolt apart and probing the inside of the bolt face with a dental pick and feel for broken firing pin remains hammered into the firing pin channel.

Then let us know how it played...

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

· Premium Member
5,003 Posts
Hey again BA -- Your new spring should have a little more camber in it. I had flattened the spring in the picture a little to address another issue with a rifle of mine. Best regards. Wind

· Premium Member
5,003 Posts
Hey again BA -- It's not a question of stumped. We don't have the rifle in our hands and we're dependent on you to provide clear, accurate, information.

Did you thoroughly clean the firing pin channel in the bolt?

Not all firing pins are created equal...

View attachment 100909 View attachment 100910

You may have to ease the taper to allow the pin to protrude further through the bolt. They are hardened. Doing it with the pin turning in something like a lathe and using a stone to remove metal is the best way. Keep in mind if you take off to much metal you risk puncturing primers - and that is not a good thing. The area you want to dress is under the red arrow. Be careful not to reduce the pin diameter as well.

View attachment 100911

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.