Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!! New guy here but not new to firearms. I've recently acquired an 1893 Marlin in .38-55, built in 1894. I shoot for fun and my load is a real mild one, 6 grains of Trail boss and 255 grain cast. Very fun and accurate load out to 100 yards. Here's the problem: I noticed the rifle would jam when the rounds would feed up, the rim would hang up on the tip of the firing pin. Turns out the tip was broke off and would not retract, but the rifle still fired flawlessly. Also found the firing pin return spring was broken. Got new parts from Wisners, .093" firing pin and new spring, now the gun misfires with light strikes. Replaced the main spring, still not fixed. Polish rear pin, try without return spring, no matter what I try it still misfires. So today I try pushing the pin forward until it contacts the primer, then it fires every time, but I have no idea what to do to correct this problem. I know something must be slowing down the forward motion from the retracted position to fired but It has me baffled!! Anybody here got any ideas!!
I'm sure it's something Tooooo simple!!

BTW, My first real rifle was a Marlin 36 (not 336) .30-30, I traded my '55 Chevy for in 1968. Shot my first deer with it. Wish I still had the rifle and the car!!

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there BA -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. I would bet a couple nickels that the hole in your bolt is damaged or gunked up from abuse it received from the broken firing pin. There is no firing pin return spring in an1893 bolt. The only spring that should be in there is a flat spring that pushes the rear firing pin down and out of battery until the lever closes the bolt enough to allow the locking lug to come up and push it into battery. Here is the firing pin and flat spring...

View attachment 100648

The tab on the end of the spring goes in the slot on the end of the bolt, and should look like this assembled...

View attachment 100649

You might consider taking your bolt apart and probing the inside of the bolt face with a dental pick and feel for broken firing pin remains hammered into the firing pin channel.

Then let us know how it played...

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the spring I was talking about, but that spring looks a lot flatter the one I have. But, it still didn't work with the spring removed. I checked the inside of the bolt for gunk, but I'll look at it again. The little hook was broken off the spring that was in there. I cleaned about 120 years of gunk out of it, but there's always room for more!!;)

Thanks Wind!!

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey again BA -- Your new spring should have a little more camber in it. I had flattened the spring in the picture a little to address another issue with a rifle of mine. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like this has all you guys stumped, too!! I hate problems like this this, because of all the side effects from not being able to fix a simple problem!! Like: insomnia, night sweats, blurred vision, shaky hands, anal leakage, and uncontrollable tourette's!!

I'll keep plugging away until it's fixed, or I'm a quivering, sobbing pile of flesh!! Whichever comes first!!

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey again BA -- It's not a question of stumped. We don't have the rifle in our hands and we're dependent on you to provide clear, accurate, information.

Did you thoroughly clean the firing pin channel in the bolt?

Not all firing pins are created equal...

View attachment 100909 View attachment 100910

You may have to ease the taper to allow the pin to protrude further through the bolt. They are hardened. Doing it with the pin turning in something like a lathe and using a stone to remove metal is the best way. Keep in mind if you take off to much metal you risk puncturing primers - and that is not a good thing. The area you want to dress is under the red arrow. Be careful not to reduce the pin diameter as well.

View attachment 100911

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Correct!! I know hands on is a lot different than trying to describe the problem. Thanks again! All keep plugging at it.

BTW Wind, thanks for all the great pics, you've been a great help so far!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just replaced an old 1893 firing pin/spring/etc yesterday and I noticed the replacement pin was hanging up in the bolt. I found the trouble was with the relief cut towards the front of the pin that provides clearance for the front retaining pin. I took a little more material with a small file and it allowed enough clearance for the firing pin to move freely now. Not sure if it could be the same thing on yours, but it's something to check. I would try it without the front retaining pin temporarily and see if it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts