Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was residing in PA I found an 1893 in 32-40 in the rifle configuration, but they wanted $1450. The gun is about 90% octagon barrel and full mag. At the time I was married and money was a lot tighter, well that was almost a year ago when I looked at the gun . Saturday I decided to call and see if it was still there...... and small miracles do happen , it was . Also got the guy down a couple hundred, still over $1100 but I'm having a heck of a time finding any 32-40 in any decent original shape. Also bore has no pits so I can shoot cast bullets :!: And I just happen to have three suitable molds , 100 pieces of new WW brass and a new set of RCBS Cowboy dies. So if I can get a copy of my dealers license tommorrow I should have in possesion sometime next week :D Only thing I don't like on this and the 25-36 I just got are that both have the S style buttplate instead of a crescent plate :( Oh well can't have everything I suppose 8)

·
Registered
579 Posts
All mine have s plates except 32-40. I'll just trade you!!!! :D Congrats, moodyholler

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Hey, congrats on the somewhat delayed find!!!

One of these years I'm gonna find me a small caliber 1893........And as to your wish for a crescent butt rather than the "S" shaped butt - You can always restock it as you want, and keep the original wood to retain it's collector status. Then you could look at it, shoot it, drool on it with the style stock you like, and return it to original config if you wanna sell it.

Shum8

·
Banned
393 Posts
Hey! Crescent buttplates may look nice BUT you get a lot more recoil &
pinch from them. I believe this one of the reasons Marlin starting putting
on "S" buttplates in 1904. I don't like the "S" style buttplates but they
do reduce the recoil & "ouch" you feel. I have a 45/70 with a 30" barrel
& the "S" butt. That gun the recoil is less noticeable than another 45/70
with a crescent butt & a 26" barrel.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
That's pretty neat 6ptsitka! Amazing that they still had it after all this time. Looks like you've made a couple good additions to your growing Marlin collection. The 1893's have always been my favorite!

·
Registered
719 Posts
ol butts.........

the cresent will shoot ok if you have it not on the shoulder, but on the upper part of your arm. i have both, and yup the 45-70 still is a handful, but my 303 savage is the nicest self-pointing rifle with it's cresent bp and small forend......my s-curve bp 38-55 93' comes in a close second........ :wink:

worse?i think the m48 mil straight bp with heavy loads! :shock:

now...if you want tto talk about NO recoil~85gr bullets outta one of the swed m/96's!!!!! :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully I'll get some bullets cast for the 32-40 and 25-36 today or tomorrow and this weekend I "should" be able to fire them both :D :!:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a RCBS 32 cal mold for my 32 Speciel that I can use in the 32-40 and a old Lyman 170 grain gascheck mold on the way. But I am curiouse if anyone has used either of the Saeco 32-40 molds. They are both plainbase ,one is 165 grains and the other is 200 grains :?: I am cosidering one or both :?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took the 32-40 out today for the first time :) Loaded 15 rounds with 170 grain RCBS cast and 15 grains 5744. One 5 shot group at 100 yards could be covered with a Pepsi can :D And the other two were not much worse :!: I'm quite satisfied with the initial results. Thought I had a 170 grain Lyman gascheck mold coming , but the guy said he couldn't find it :cry: But he also had a 170 grain plain base hollow point mold and I have that coming :D The HP should make a fine deer bullet :!:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts