Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm parting with a couple old rifles and was hoping to do so at least half way smart.
I want to purchase a nice shotgun for my sons college graduation next spring and the budget and wife tell me I must do so with "found" money.
The 1893 has been hanging on our wall as decoration for the last 20 years,
And I've owned it for nearly 40. My grandfather owned it prior, having taken in at the store to settle a debt.
It's a model 1893 32-40 round barrel (25 1/2") serial #316237 (1905).
The rifle has never been shot or cleaned (!) in all the time we've owned it - and from what I know about old rifles I wouldn't attempt to.
How does one go about selling such an item fairly, or trading it in?
My antique gun knowledge is zero, and the one time I did bring it up to a dealer he sounded as clueless as I do.
Thanks in advance,
Paul
N Michigan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Paul have you looked on gunbroker to establish a rough idea what a rifle in similar condition would bring? It may take awhile of observation. There's no reason why it can't be placed back in service I have a very nice 1893 32-40 that I shoot all the time. I hate to see you sell a rifle with family history big mistake I'm thinking. But if you must I might be a potential buyer when you establish a price.

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
First I'd make sure that your son has no interest in it at all, being in the family so long he may quietly be wanting it someday... I know I would. Other than that, I'm no expert on older gun values and would have to search online what similar have been selling for, like on gunbroker, gunsamerica, etc.
Good luck to you.

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Paul, after making 25 posts on this site you would be eligible to sell it right here, where all Marlins find good homes!:biggrin:

Reactions: duxnbucks

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Welcome, I suggest at least running a cleaning rod down the hole, and seeing if any squiggly lines are evident.:biggrin: Thats gonna be the first question most folks are going to ask.

Might well be full of mud daubers and cobwebs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts