Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I usually sit in the background and read and learn. A little about myself. People just call me Dooley. I started shooting in 1959 with a fairly new 39A. We could take our rifles to school, give them to the teacher, pick them up after school and hunt the four mile on the way home for supper that night. I have my family raised and connecting with my Grand kids through target shooting with any thing from 1892's to 1990's 39A's. They ask all kinds of questions and some I can't find. I Need Help! Is there a book Or other source I can get to tell me what the special options are for the lever actions produced since 1881? Especially the the .22's .32's since 1881 larger caliber lever action models? And if possible the early 1893 30-30. I am trying to collect a sample of each model and variation of the small caliber lever actions and if I find the larger calibers I do those also. I usually get the ones in very poor condition and rework them to fire safely. I have even rebuilt one that was rusted shut. Took us weeks. I built my 1893 form parts off auctions. Probably cost me more but it is fun and together time with my G kids and teach them safety and responsibility. I'm not lazy and what told what the options were I just need guidance to find the information. This also teaches the kids how not to give up looking for answers as they help with the reading also. I have learned a lot from this sight but am afraid I don't know enough yet to contribute. Thanks for being here and maybe some day I'll know enough to help also. Later, Dooley

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
Hi Dooley---

Welcome--IMHO the best book you could get to answer most of your questions is a book called Marlin Firearms by William S. Brophy. I found mine on Amazon.com--go to books--type in name of book and author--you should be able to find a copy there. Good luck.

Steve

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! We'd like to see some pics of some of your work Dooley! Glad you're here. John

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
welcome to the forum!! would love to see some pics of your reworked shootin' irons!! if you have questions... this is the place to get them answered for sure!! glad you found us... sounds like you're aware of the marlin-itis... or project gun-itis... or whatever else you want to call it... long before you found us too!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the Welcome

Hi All, Thanks for the kind responses. It Mom's day so can't spend a lot of time on here and ask my Wife to post pics and other things, she is the smart one in this house hold. I'll try and get it done soon. God Bless you all, our Country, Our Rights, Our Families and Friends, Later, Dooley

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
6,438 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Welcome from Long Island farm country, happy shootin'. Cheers:beerglass:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Welcome to MO, glad to hear your enjoying the grandkids and having fun!

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Welcome. You should join in more often. Nice the way you teach your grand kids , keep up the good work.

·
Registered
423 Posts
And yes the book mentioned above by Brophy is the book to get and read

·
Premium Member
5,420 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Welcome from New York farm country.

·
Super Moderator
15,666 Posts
WELCOME FROM OLYMPIA, WA; IN THE GREAT PACIFIC NORTHWEST - THE "ORIGINAL MARLIN®" (North Haven, CT Rifles) COUNTRY!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welcome from NH.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, I have the book Marlin firearms on the way. By the way I was raised in central Iowa, born in the Great State of Texas, and spent 5 yr 3 m0 and 27 day in the Marines. Thanks for the good welcome from everyone. Will post pics as soon as I can. Later , Dooley

1 - 20 of 26 Posts