Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of putting together a marlin 1892 in the 32 caliber. When I got the gun it was missing most if the internal parts. I have collected every thing I need to shoot it in either rim fire or center fire. I understand that this gun would shoot both long colt or shorts. My question is do you need a different carrier for the shorts that what is used for the longs? Or is there supposed to be a cartridge cut off for the 32 caliber that I do not know about? I have the gun loading and ejecting the longs pretty good but shorts double up on the carrier. I have not shot it yet but do have ammo in colt long and colt shot as well as rim fire shorts.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
I can't help ya, but my ol' buddy has a 92 in .32 short, got it when we were 13 or 14. His brother bought an old Chevy and found it in the trunk under a bunch of gunny sacks.

Wish I could talk him out of it, he hasn't shot it a dozen times, not even sure where it is.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The Brophy book states that the same carrier was used for all .32's. It worked with .32 long and short and both rimfire and center fire!
The .22 had a cut off for when Shorts, Longs, and Long Rifle's were shot interchangeably.

Sounds like a fun project. I love bringing old closet queens back to life!! I just got a Colt Lighting on .32-20 that needs some TLC!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the 22s had a cartridge cut off allowing it to shoot all three different lengths, how does the 32 use long and short interchangeable? The only way I can figure is that the carrier needs to be machined different for each load. Same carrier but the groove that the cartridge lifts up on must be machined to fit either the longs or shorts. Is that correct or maybe not?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts