Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. This is my first time posting a question on MarlinOwners.... so here we go. I have a gentleman who is selling a Marlin deluxe model 1892 .22 with a half round and half octagon barrel. It has a case colored receiver as well. Now the concern I have is that the side plate where the takedown screw is, is not case colored... someone told me that some came from the factory that way and some did not. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
So are you saying that the whole sideplate is blued, or just the sideplate thumb screw?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Super nice rifles especially in deluxe, I don't think it would come from the factory with a blue side plate, screw yes. Still might not be a deal breaker though if it functions correctly. Here is a screenshot of an engraved one.

·
Premium Member
14,184 Posts
I have seen them with blued bolt, and screws, but would doubt they would have a blued sideplate alone at the factory. There might be a partial serial number on the inside of the plate. If the serial matches, I would bet it was from a repair done after it left Marlin.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I completely forgot I have a picture of it. In your opinion, should I leave it as is, or have the whole receiver case hardened? View attachment 872086
OK, a picture is worth 1000 words. My opinion would sway toward doing a cold blue fake case colored treatment on the sideplate only. Another factor is that if you need a stock for it, then I might have the parts case colored and make sure the wood had several A's in its description.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thank you very much, that's kind of where I was swaying with just doing the plate... but I will have to see. I greatly appreciate the help and advice. When I buy it I will decide whether or not to have the plate or the whole receiver case hardened and then probably do a show and tell. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
show more pics (left side rec.) the 1892s were standard blue, the 1897s were CC

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Leave it unless the entire gun is getting restored to new condition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm thinking I will be leaving it as is and not case hardening it after all the advice.
@Travelin so I shouldn't be using any modern LR .22's with this rifle?

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
That is right use only STANDARD VELOCITY ammunition because the rifle was not manufactured for high speed .22 ammo that came out in 1930 so you can use modern ammo as long as it is not high velocity.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts