Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1891 Marlin, in 22 rim fire with a round barrel and side loading gate. The entire finish is in the white, with no evidence of ever being blued. I believe this rifle has been in my family for years. I inherited it from my father, who inherited it from his uncle in North Carolina. It's in pretty good condition considering it's vintage.

There are a few issues with it that I would like to "correct". Any comments or advice is appreciated.

• The barrel is rusted out, and I'm planning to have it relined. Operationally, the rest of the rifle is sound.
  • The forearm end cap has a strange incorrect [handmade] bore it it - so I'd like to replace it. I haven't been able to find one. Any suggestions as to sourcing it would be appreciated.
  • The Magazine Tube cap screw is missing, and an incorrect screw installed. I also need one of these, if anyone can help.
  • And here's the most difficult of the anomalies. The butt stock (crescent type butt plate) has been altered. The comb has been sanded off such that the signature drop at the front of the comb is no longer there. Rather, the comb tapers straight from the top of the butt plate to the tangs. I suspect the comb may have been damaged at one time and this was the "repair". The "modification" was done so well, that if I'd never seen pictures of what it's supposed to look like - I'd have thought it was original. So what to do with the stock. ALL THE NUMBERS MATCH (butt plate, butt stock, receiver, and forearm). I've been told that the gun will have greater value with the original parts (stock as is), than it would have if I attempted to "rebuild" the comb by laminating a hunk of walnut onto it - or replaced the stock (which I cannot find except in current production). Any advice is appreciated.
I am not interested in selling the gun. I would like it to be functional - and that only requires the barrel reline. As far as being correct and retain maximum value - that's simply because I like to keep these old guys as close to original as possible.

Thanks,

chefjohn

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I kinda need a forearm end cap myself. They show up on Ebay and Gunbroker from time to time. I passed on one on Gunbroker recently. I have a 1970s era brass one on my mine from a 39A of some kind. The stocks show up occasionally in those places too. The stocks and forend tip should be the same for 92,97,and early 39s I think. I went with repro wood on my 91. Cheaper but takes quite a bit of hand fitting to get em nice..Post a pic we would like to see the 91..Of course a repro stock or used would not be original but sometime you have to do what you have to do...Goodluck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts