Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, I'm new to Marlins and this forum, excuse me if I'm posting this on the wrong forum but couldn't find a 38-40 or an 1889 forum.
I recently acquired an 1889, following the directions found in a post from 2017 by Smithywess I took it apart for inspection and cleaning. Thank you.
I 'm wondering what holds the trigger safety catch down so the trigger cannot be activated until the finger lever pushes it up and clear of the trigger. The trigger spring. is shaped so it contacts the trigger but clears the safety catch. Is it just gravity or does one of the other components hold it down until the finger lever pushes it up clear of the trigger so the rifle can be fired?

Thanks for any help.
Al

·
Registered
594 Posts
My 32-20 made in 1891 .
When the hammer is fully down on the firing pin the triger safety doesn't have pressure on it. But at safe and fullycocked theres spring preasure in the triger safety. If I remember the triger spring has two fingers on it.

Bill

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill.
Hmm, two fingers mine has only one, and all the pics in the parts sellers sites show one that looks just like mine. I'll take mine off again and see if it has been broken. I've added two pics, one has the safety up just to show the spring doesn't touch it and the second is down where it belongs. It does have s bright spot on the top where something was touching it at one time.
Wood Tool Metal Titanium Nickel
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Composite material Metal
Wood Tool Metal Titanium Nickel
Wood Rectangle Hardwood Composite material Metal

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You nailed it Bill.
I took the spring out again and it does indeed have two tangs, the safety tang on this spring has been broken off close to the screw hole but I can see there was one there.
I suppose it will be impossible to find one of those. Maybe I can make one.

Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts