Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,102 Posts
That is a beauty . Isn’t it an antique that can be shipped direct ?

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a beauty . Isn’t it an antique that can be shipped direct ?
Yes, it is. But Cabelas said they wouldn't do that. They would ship it directly to me because I have a C&R FFL, but they would charge me $25. Shipping is free when it goes to one of their stores.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone have experience with these? I have been reading that people shoot smokeless loads in them. I thought that was a no no due to the difference in pressure curves. This gun dates to 1890.

·
Registered
279 Posts
and try to locate another firing pin as soon as you can. maybe two. I have an 1889 in 44-40 (SURE COULD USE A NICE ONE IN 38-40 HINT HINT) and firing pins seem to be a weak point. Low power smokeless loads have worked in mine buuut each rifle is an entity unto itself. Good luck with your recent purchase. They are fun.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone have experience with these? I have been reading that people shoot smokeless loads in them. I thought that was a no no due to the difference in pressure curves. This gun dates to 1890.
Howdy, I’ve always been told if their stamped Marlin Saftey , smokeless is fine, the rest I‘ve loaded smokeless, for years , just not to exceed 40%, for example a 45/70 , keep the smokeless at say 28 grains, enjoy that fine looking rifle

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
40% of what - pressure, powder charge, bullet weight? Twenty-eight grains of what powder? Who “always“ told you? So you load smokeless in all your Marlin 1889s? So many questions….

·
Registered
29 Posts
40% of what - pressure, powder charge, bullet weight? Twenty-eight grains of what powder? Who “always“ told you? So you load smokeless in all your Marlin 1889s? So many questions….

Handwriting Black Rectangle Wood Pink

Here’s a pic of my recipe , IMR 4227 being the powder , you do understand the meaning of 44/40 ? 44- caliber 40 grains of black powder ! Okay, I’ve loaded for many years, some guys are better at it than I , but this works for me, 40% of the black powder would be around 16.5 grains of 4227, up to 27 grains when shot in latter 44/40 rifles, such as a model 1892 Win or 1894 Marlin. If your 1889 Marlin says Marlin Safety it would in my estimation be good to go but use your own judgement. Have a gun smith check her out. I shoot old Colt Lightnings, Whitney Kennedy’s and owned a couple Colt-Burgess rifles , I shot them all, that’s what they were made to do. Hope this helped , I’m in northern Wisconsin if that helps , maybe I’ve met you

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't recommend the 27 gr of IMR 4227 load in a 44-40 that load was deemed too hot years ago. I have loaded my 38 WCF up to 1600 fps and killed deer with it with a lot less. It was a 1892 made around 1925. But really think the 1300 fps load is a good one and recommend Herco powder around 9 grains or 13.5-16.5 grains of 2400. With a good flat point bullet.
I believe that modern cases will not hold more that 36 grains of black powder even if a drop tube is used.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your absolutely right , I load 16.5 grains of 4227 not 27 , don’t know where I got that , my apology’s 😞 i guess I’ll be more careful what I throw out there. On a lighter note a buddy of ours arrowed a pretty decent buck two weeks ago and if you notice his right ear is not all there.we’ve a fair number of wolves up here and I believe this fella escaped to live another day or so.they like to grab their nose or I guess their ears while their accomplices get after the other end. yous have a fine day and I’ll double check my powder loads or I’ll be missing my ear .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I have both a 38-40 and 44-40 in model 89's. and shoot light smokeless loads and lead bullets in the 1200-1500 fps range. They are quite accurate!

Reactions: Shark Bait

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I figure commercial cowboy loads should be okay. That's all I have right now. The bore is pitted but there is visible rifling. Might shoot fine. I have a Springfield Trapdoor with a pitted bore and it still shoots true.

When I got the rifle home I found it had a poorly repaired cracked stock. I soaked the stock in acetone for about a week and cleaned out the old and worthless adhesive. Once it dried thoroughly I put it back together with clamps and Gorilla Glue. Seems to be solid now. I still need to shoot it.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Here’s a pic of my recipe , IMR 4227 being the powder , you do understand the meaning of 44/40 ? 44- caliber 40 grains of black powder ! Okay, I’ve loaded for many years, some guys are better at it than I , but this works for me, 40% of the black powder would be around 16.5 grains of 4227, up to 27 grains when shot in latter 44/40 rifles, such as a model 1892 Win or 1894 Marlin. If your 1889 Marlin says Marlin Safety it would in my estimation be good to go but use your own judgement. Have a gun smith check her out. I shoot old Colt Lightnings. …Hope this helped , I’m in northern Wisconsin if that helps , maybe I’ve met you

Geeze, where do I start? I shoot a Lightning .44-40 too, but would never use 27 grains of 4227! Rules of thumb like 40% are often recipies for disaster, science always trumps guesses. I doubt we’ve ever met, but I would like to meet you. I’ve only been reloading for 51 years, but anyone who loads for the old BP repeaters is a potential friend!

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Congrats to the OP on this nice looking rifle. Marlin safety designation just means the action improvements. The 1889's were Black powder rifles.
I have a specimen in 32-20. Light loads of smokeless seem to be okay in it.
Later on in the 1893/1894 models when barrel steel was improved the barrel was Stamped "Special Smokeless Steel" for the smokeless powders.
I wouldn't be afraid to use my 1894 38-40 Load in it if it checks out okay. I use 6.9 gr Unique with 180 gr cast bullet. It shoots mighty nice with that mild load.
Hopefully your ejector and firing pin are okay. My FP was broken when I got my 1889. Wisners has replacements. Enjoy!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts