Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the local dealers this morning when I spotted a Marlin with an octagon barrel which had browned with age. It was in 32/20 if my eyes didn't deceive me. My glasses were in the car. I thought about buying it, but I was already picking up a handgun. I think the price was around $350. Any input?

·
Registered
579 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! moodyholler USE THE CREDIT CARD!!!!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, by the way, and you can probably tell, I really don't know anything about the older Marlins. I didn't mean to imply that I did. These might sell for a dime a dozen, I don't know. I guess I don't care if the older guns are usable or not. I just enjoy the history behind them. Thanks for your reply.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Be sure they have it identified correctly! I've seen 1889's, and even 1892 and 1891 Marlins with tags marked as 1888's! If it is truly a .32-20, and is top eject, not side eject, it's most likely a model 1888. Regardless of condition, if it's all there, $350 is a steal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marlinman, well like I said earlier, I'm not familiar with the truly older Marlins, but top or side ejection should have jarred something in my noggin when I checked it out. It was side ejection. What year was side ejection introduced? I think about 92 or 93. I remember reading that on the internet. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. You saved me a few bucks. In fact I spent enough today on a new 629 Smith. The better half wouldn't understand the extra spending.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Yep, if it was side eject, it's not a model 1888. They were discontinued in 1889. It is probably a model 1889, as they get confused for 1888's, because the top tangs are unmarked, and when people check the bluebook, they like the cvalues for 1888's better. So if they don't know, they error in their favor!
Still at $350 an 1889 is not a bad by, unless it's pretty beat up. They generally go almost twice that, even in average condition.

·
Registered
719 Posts
HEART ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shock: I almost had a HEART ATTACK! $350 for a 1888!!!!!! :shock: \
and here i can't find a shelllifter for my 1888, and to have one made the machine shop wants $650!!!!!
I will buy any 1888 i find for $350!!!!!!!! :idea: :p
pant pant.......whew, that was a close call! still , a nice 32-20, is worth that, like mm93 says!.........i think i gave $650 for my 25-20 years back, and it's a '94 made in the 20's....... :p

don't upset me like that! :lol:

worse than walking on Myrtle beach at spring break time!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
KAINTUCK, I'm sorry about that. To satisfy my own curiosity, I think I'll go back this morning to check it out a little closer for my own satisfaction. And I'll be sure to wear my glasses this time. I just told my wife what I had in mind, and all she said was, " I know you. " I guess that means that she thinks that I will be hoofing it in the door with the Marlin. The dealer starts his once a year, interest free for a year sale tommorow, so today is bad enough as far as crowds go. I will let you guys know what I find out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I looked it over, and according to the serial number, was made in 1893. On the top strap it says in script, " Marlin Safety ". The patents were in Oct. 87 and in Apr. 89. It is in 32 W. Well used but probably worth going through and cleaning and replacing a few screws if they can be found. Nostalgia strikes again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, by the way, would the modern day .32 caliber extractor work? This rifle is missing the extractor. The bore looks as if it was cleaned in the 20's. Like I said, it was very used. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Most of the modern 1894 parts will interchange. The ejector might need slight modification, but an original replacement that will drop in can be purchased from Wisner's Gun Parts. They are also working on reproduction screws, and may have them done by now. If not many of the modern 1894 screws will work, but some like the carrier screw have a slightly diffeent pitch.
It really sounds like it might be worth running a patch through the bore, and then possibly a purchase?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the information Marlinman. Well, I had to go back and buy it yesterday afternoon. I took it apart this morning, and I am stoning and wipeing things off. Tearing this one down was an experience. Similar to the new ones, but different. The carrier looked like it had been gone over with a hammer and chisel. But I'm now in hog heaven. At least for a while, or until the next one comes along. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I don't think you'll regret this purchase. For the kind of money you paid, just about any complete 1889 is a good buy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well Marlinman, I got them down to three bills. I'm still in the process of taking the very rough edges off of the mechanical end. The bore is a lot worse than I thought it was when I first looked at it. But, if and when I get this thing back together, then the satisfaction sets in. I still need the ejector and a few new screws.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ordered the ejector and the screw for the ejector from Wisners. That was about all they had for that model. I ordered the rest of the screws from Numrich. Numrich also has the carrier that I need, but they are out of the rocker. Whoever owned this rifle, and I imagine that a few people had their hands on it down through the years, took a carrier from another series of Marlins and file fitted it to this rifle. A pin was put through the lever, and that was set over the carrier to control the downward motion. The barrel is a mess with all the corrosive crap that was left in there after it was fired. But, I'll see if I can get it up and running mechanically. Seems like a good winter time project. Love the old ones.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts