Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This looks interesting for those that collect the vintage Marlins-

131. Marlin mod. 1888 ser.# 19771. Very scarce .44-40 lever action rifle with a 24" octagon barrel. This was Marlin’s only small caliber top ejection rifle and was only made for little over a year. Half magazine was cut from full length and a metal plug put in the barrel dovetail. Sights appear to be original. Very good bore and action. Light traces of case color on the lever and hammer. The blue is turning brown although the metal is fairly clean. A few buggered screw heads. Good original walnut forearm and stock with a crescent metal butt plate. The wood has a few small cracks and worn original finish.

For sale at auction on April 3, 2004, Located in Lancaster County, (southeast) Pennsylvania.

www.horstauction.com

·
Registered
719 Posts
1888!

i'll bid on the carrier! :D
o.k. i'll bid for the whole rifle....$400 i think is the "majic" number!
there are THOSE out there who know what i'm talking about! *ahem*!

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
It'll never outshoot those Swedes!

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Buggered Screws!

Only time I heard that discription of damaged screw slots was when I was in Kentucky, from some of my Head of a Hah-ler type relatives with banjo
music from somewhere off in the distance. Reminded of the sound track from some old movie with Burt sombody in it. :D :D :D

·
Registered
719 Posts
gurn........

:shock: i'll have you know, i'm from ol'kentuck, and i'll take none of that talk! we are good folk, why, even after I divorced my first wife, we still speak to each other ar our family reunions. buggered and bucthered screws are from useing your jacknife to tighten them. riding around in the p/u truck on bumpy roads tends to shake everything loose! :?
and sometimes after getting you deer, you have to head home with it pretty dang quick, stupid laws say something about shooting during daylight only, anyway, have the girl in the truck sit real close to you like your dating and the game management guys will leave you alone!
My sister never minded it much, she was always glad to get home tho, said she didn't like the kissing part'......

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Good thing it was a short ride home, or it might have gotten further than just kissin! :wink:
I mean she mighta got her pocket knife out, and buggered your screws!

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Hey Kaintuck
The Fine Gentelman in this picture is the first one I ever heard refer to screw slot damage as boogered up. Here he is in front of his mothers house in Lotts Creek just out of Hazard Ky.

He was somewhat of a legend in this area. Some say he killed more deer than any one man in the state of kentucky. Most of his hunting was done in western Ky. I talked to a man at a gas station in Bever Dam and he said many times Mr. Kenneth Stout would pull up to the station with "a whole station wagon full of em". I also heard that many times the deer would be a terrible sight by the time he got them home. Seems being the generous type, he would chop off various parts and give them to his acquaintances.

His favorite weapon was a Chinese SKS. One time while target shooting with him he told me he used to have a bolt but with a bolt "If ya run on a big bunch some might get away".

Here he is. http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=825354

1 - 7 of 7 Posts