Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a coming gun auction there will be a Marlin 1881 Caliber 40-60. Mfg 1884. Octagonal barrel, full magazine. The rifle have double set triggers.
Is that rare on Marlin lever actions? The estimated price $1000. Can be cheaper but of course also much more expensive.

When it comes to the take down function? Does it usually differ much in price if a rifle have that function or not?

Best regards,
Hombre

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I have an 1881 in 45-70 with 30 inch bull barrel and double set triggers. When I checked its history I found, there were aprox 3000+ 1881's with the 30 inch bull barrel in Octagon and 750+ with double set triggers and it was unknown how many had both.
I would expect the one you are talking about, in original condition, with no reblue etc. would be in the range of $1500-2500 depending on condition and I expect there would be a premium for the caliber it is in.
One note these early 1881s had a different serial number on the barrel and receiver. [/code]

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Just a note, (and I totally agree with Sure shot on the rest) the .40-60 M usually doesn't get any premium, unlike the .45-70, which does.
Marlins in takedown do get a premium, although the 1881 was never offered in a takedown.

·
Registered
496 Posts
In the USA $1000 would be a good price for a Marlin Model 1881 and with set triggers. This is with the rifle being in good condition and not a beater. Parley

1 - 5 of 5 Posts