Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an all original marlin model 18 in solid condition. It's turned mostly patina. The problem is that there is almost no rifling left and it just doesn't group anymore. I could buy another barrel from numrich or my local smith said he could reline it for $150. I was going to give it to my son, but now I'm wondering if I should just sell it as a collectors piece and pick up a 39 instead. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
The model 18 is quite a rare pump (Marlin's first .22 pump made only from 1906-8), and sought after by many collectors - many who may not even care to shoot it!? The condition you describe may not bring the highest price, but for someone who doesn't own one, you will likely get the equivalent value of a used 39A. That being said, the model 18 is a nice size for a young shooter, and a good relining job will be barely noticeable. Mechanically it will not be as sound as the 39A, and sights are no comparision as well. In your shoes, barring a family inheritance attachment or serious collecting interest in Marlin pumps, I would try to find a willing trade partner, or sell it outright to obtain a 39A.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.