Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at some of these old pumps the other day. I know that Marlin issued a statement saying that these old guns shouldn't be fired, but what do y'all think? I was thinking of picking one up if the price was right, but I want something I can shoot occasionally.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
model 17 & 24 shotguns

There's not a thing wrong with shooting the hammer pumps - as long as you shoot only the light trap or dove loads. Avoid like the plague high-brass turkey whackers! For additional information to see if there might be a safety issue with your old Marlin pump, see also:

http://www.marauder13.homestead.com/files/Marlin98s.htm

The old Marlins have very tight chokes and are good for some long shots on doves, etc. :D I don't take my model 24 out too often these days, but my model 43 is my favorite dove gun. - When there are any to be found! - They all split for Texas before season even opened this year. SW

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That's a great site. Now I know not to be scared of those old guns. I always thought they looked neat. My brother should thank you for not shooting up all his doves. He said they decsended upon him like a plague last weekend! Hopefully I'll get a piece of the action later next month.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts