Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - never heard of this model. And did a search here and didn't really find anything. Not even sure I am using the right search criteria...

But I found one at a pawn shop today, and my wife liked it. It was (I think) the 15YM - a youth model as it was shorter. She said it was a little too short for her probably.

Can anyone shed any light on this thing? What moel variations are there? One just a little longer than the 15YM? How do they function/shoot? And what should I expect to pay for one in good condition.

Anyone have one they want to part with at a reasonable price? My wife has never even shown any propensity towards wanting to buy/own a gun, even tho she has shot/hunted. But we got some property/woods to hunt/roam on and she wants a 22 rifle to play with. I would love to surprise her with one. Thanx

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Marlin 15YN, Little Buckaroo, same as a model 25N but shorter barrel and stock, carry over is the XT22Y. Single shot, nice walk-about rifle, I have one and love the little rifle as does my wife. This rifle is closer to the Model 25 because it has the single receiver take down screw and uses the old style wire ejector, plenty parts at Numrich if ever needed, a definite buy at $100-$125, condition the judge.

The basic rifle has been around for many years, in the new XT series the single shot version has been dropped and only the box mag fed model remains, new about $200, hard to find. Info at the Marlin website.

Reactions: alman

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx LI. I was struggling to find much initially. And saw some issue with the bolt, but didn't know if it was a real issue... Plus, the alternative model info is exactly what I needed. Wife said the YH was a little short. Know I know what to look for. This one had some small issues and was $159. Thought that was a bit high for condition. Thanx again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've seen a few of these in very nice condition within the last couple of months . I want to say all could have been had for around $125.00 . The 25N , the full size version of this rifle is a fine bolt action which should be able to be found for around $150.00 +/- .
A 25N would be an excellent entry level .22 for your wife IMHO .

Al

Reactions: 20GA

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
oscarflytyer,
I bought a Marlin 15Y Buckaroo for my daughter when she was 4 years old but the Mrs made me wait until my daughter's 8th birthday to give it to her. My daughter will be 36 years old this year and I still have her 15Y here at our house. I put a little compact 4X scope on it and I use it (with my daughter's permission) for groundhog sniping with 22 shorts while walking about outside. It is a fine shooting little rifle albeit the trigger must break at about 9 pounds. Way too hard a trigger pull to try and teach a youngster how to shoot, but none the less my daughter did just fine. She was and still is, VERY safety conscious around any firearm. She grew up in a house full of firearms and ammunition and never once showed any inclination to touch one of "Dad's" guns without permission. She knew all she had to do was ask and "Dad" would be more than happy to show her and let her handle any of my collection. As a side note, that little 15Y is as nice today as when I first took it out of the box.
358 Win

Reactions: alman
1 - 5 of 5 Posts