Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Marlin 120 I just acquired. It had a Full choke barrel. I acquired a modified choke barrel. I was at the range shooting trap today, and there were occurrences of the shotgun failing to fire. The trigger would not depress. Unchambering the round and rechambering the round seemed to temporarily fix it. It happened again shortly thereafter.

The safety was off. Any suggestions on what might be causing this ?

Thank you,

Best.
Peter AI6PG
Life Member NRA

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
This post offers a little more evidence. If the trigger will not depress, its generally something mechanical, I have actually seen shot pellets inside of trigger groups on shotguns, of course powder residue, etc.

The only way the barrel switch could effect it that I can think of, is that the chamber on it is way tight, and the bolt is not going into full battery. Which would translate back into the trigger group, making it "think" the slide was not totally forward. A "disconnect" mechanism prevents the hammer from falling, unless the bolt is fully into battery. All shotguns use some type of mechanism to accomplish this.

Past experience would tell me, the barrel is not the issue, but its only coincidental, and the problem appeared at the same time you put the different barrel on.

But unless its simply dirt or corruption in the trigger group, this may not be a home cure problem, and a REAL gunsmith might be the quickest cure. Some guys simply begin replacing parts, that does not make them a gunsmith.

Gunsmiths go by past experience, and generally look first at the most likely, which is often dirt. But they also will consider if its reloads or factory ammo, and then follow the bread crumb trail into the actual issue.

Some guns can be fixed "over the phone" as used to be the case, this one may not.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I agree. I dropped the 120 off at my gunshop for the gunsmith to work on it when he can.

I don't have the experience yet to overhaul the 120 myself.

I did build an M4 rifle and that was a good experience.

Thanks for the help.

I hope other people will share their experiences with the 120.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Welcome, much like the original post, the cause could vary greatly. The fire control, (trigger) on any gun does not "reset" as much as it interacts with the rest of the locking mechanism to prevent the gun from firing out of battery (lockup).

the actual cause could be in the trigger group, or it might lie elsewhere . The gunsmith will follow the crumb trail to some extent, he will ask if you are shooting factory ammo, he will ask if someone took the gun apart, he will ask all sorts of questions, that may seem inane to the owner, but he has a good reason for asking.

Or at least he should have a good reason.:biggrin:
LIke going to the doctor,don't be afraid to mention or describe the history of the problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is a Marlin 120 in a local shop, been there a long time. I was wondering, how much are they worth?
If there is an inherent problem with them I'll leave it there.
Dad bought me a 120 30 plus years ago. He tried to trade his 870 for it several times, but I kept it. It's well used, and has now been passed on to my oldest along with a 336. I never had a single problem with it, although I did notice on last visit that the front sight bead was missing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts