Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put this" Crown Prince" .22 rifle on the hold shelf today at my gun shop. It has the ring cock on the bolt. Really nice shape. Has a weaver scope on it but I don't think the scope is correct. I believe they came from the factory with the Micro Vue scope. What a name. I wonder how the heck they came up with that name. SS

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, that is not it. The gun has a gold trigger, an actual ring on the bolt end, white spacers and nice wood. They were made in 1959 only. Pretty cool.SS

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
The model 101 was introduced in 1941 with a cocking knob. In 1960 the knob was changed to a ring, in 1966 it was changed to a "T" shaped knob. The 101 was discontinued in 1977. The model with the ring was known as the 2nd variation of the Model 101. There were five variations of the 101. Yours originally sold for $20.60 according to Brophy's book pages 331-333.

There is no mention of the "Crown Prince".

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmm...... thanks for the info , Gunner. I read somewhere that this gun was 1959 only. Maybe the "Crown Prince" was only 1959, with the ring. I'm going to purchase the gun and I will post pics.It is priced at 100.00 but I will get it for a little less than that.Thanks. SS

·
Super Moderator
15,820 Posts
Gunner,......sorry brother, I've got Brophys here and on pages 337,338 is where you'll find Crown Prince. However there is no mention of where the name comes from only that it was made in 1959 and sold for the mighty price of $39.95. During it's run Marlin produced 7,166 Crown Price rifles. Mr fixit

As stated in Col. William S. Brophys' book:

"Model 101, "Crown Prince," Single-Shot, Bolt Action, Caliber .22 Rifle (1959).
The Crown Prince rifle was a special deluxe version of the Model 101 rifle previously discussed. It had all the same features, and it was boxed in a carrying-case like cardboard box. It came equipped with a Marlin Micro-vue 4-power telescope. Packed with the rifle were a wildlife game map, a tube of Marlin Ruststopper, a Marlin target and game record book, a "Marlin Sighting-In Guide and Manual", and 50 assorted targets. The telescope was mounted and zeroed-in at the factory.
In 1959, the only year of its manufacture, the price of the Crown Prince rifle was #39.95
A total of 7,166 Crown Prince rifles were manufactured.
Original Crown Prince rifles with the box and contents are rare. I have only examined one during the twenty years with Marlin."

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
mr fixit said:
Gunner,......sorry brother, I've got Brophys here and on pages 337,338 is where you'll find Crown Prince. However there is no mention of where the name comes from only that it was made in 1959 and sold for the mighty price of $39.95. During it's run Marlin produced 7,166 Crown Price rifles. Mr fixit

As stated in Col. William S. Brophys' book:

"Model 101, "Crown Prince," Single-Shot, Bolt Action, Caliber .22 Rifle (1959).
The Crown Prince rifle was a special deluxe version of the Model 101 rifle previously discussed. It had all the same features, and it was boxed in a carrying-case like cardboard box. It came equipped with a Marlin Micro-vue 4-power telescope. Packed with the rifle were a wildlife game map, a tube of Marlin Ruststopper, a Marlin target and game record book, a "Marlin Sighting-In Guide and Manual", and 50 assorted targets. The telescope was mounted and zeroed-in at the factory.
In 1959, the only year of its manufacture, the price of the Crown Prince rifle was #39.95
A total of 7,166 Crown Prince rifles were manufactured.
Original Crown Prince rifles with the box and contents are rare. I have only examined one during the twenty years with Marlin."
Very nice catch there Mr Fixit..... Don't know how I missed it but glad you spotted my miss.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info, guys. I can't wait to pick her up from the shop. I am already searching for the correct scope (micro-vue) I see them on ebay every now and then.SS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gunner,
I am new to this kind of forum and have been reading the thread on the Crown Prince. I purchased one at an auction,but the stock was a home built that looks like crap! I thought to replace the stock and have a nice little shooter for my grand son. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate a stock for it. after reading your comments I was hoping you or someone in the group might be able to help in locating one.
I've tried Neurich, Brownells and Midway with no luck. So any help you or the group can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
14,149 Posts
Here is the 1959 catalog page showing the Micro-Vue scope and the Crown Prince. Also Kdemp a regular Model 101 stock should also work. Just not as nice of wood.
Might check E-bay or Gunbroker.com, they show up on there, from time to time. Kdemp click on pictures to enlarge or save.

As to why Micro-Vue, they were still hyping up the Micro-Groove rifling at the time.

Kdemp the 101 was made from 1941,45-48 and again from 1959-77, so you will need to find one from time that yours was made. Or it might not fit.

Micro vue scope.jpg 1959 catalog.jpg

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
Never even seen one in real life before myself . High on my must get list for a long time . For a hundred bucks you sir have scored big time ! You don't want it give me a holler as I have been on that hunt for a long time , congrats and pics are a must !

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have one that has a ring cocking handle like a secondvariation and says “Crown Prince” in the roll mark. There is one in the completed auctions on Gunbroker. It has the ring and a crown and Marlin CrownPrince on the barrel besides the roll mark you can see it in the 6[SUP]th[/SUP]picture. The one in Brophy’s book hasthe knob cocking handle. I do not knowwhat this all means but these three gun all have different features but are “CrownPrinces”

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Nice little rifle ya got there, since becoming an old man I carry my old single shot more and more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Picked mine up a couple years ago for $125, shoots great. Fun little single shot

Curious about the Crown Prince name too?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts