Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having helped with the MO Father Son Hog Hunt for 4 days I finally got to go hunting tonight...er last night. ;) I have been watching this fat piebald sow for a while now and tonight I fed her a Hornady 265 gr fp sleeping pill injected with my trusty old .444S. Bout blew her head off!! Bad thing was that a smaller one must have been beside her because after exiting the sow the bullet gutted it and I had to put it down with the old pistola. :'(

FAT enough

Here she is at a feeder about 50 yd away from the one where I shot her.

This video clip (click on the pic) is the same 4 hawgs that came tonight and at the same feeder. I was about 30 yd away.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Nice shot Dave, I'm liken that piggie, not to mention you being so thrifty with your ammo and all.....grin.

MM

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Is that a Oklahoma hog. thanks for the post.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Wheres the pic of the little one Dawg? ;D ;) Finally got that ol sow, maby I'll have to drive down for some grub, then I can take Dr.A his shootin sticks :eek:

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
big medicine said:
Wheres the pic of the little one Dawg? ;D ;) Finally got that ol sow, maby I'll have to drive down for some grub, then I can take Dr.A his shootin sticks :eek:
Before you come, please remember that we use silverware here. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bull3540 said:
Dave's makin' sausages, party at his house! ;D
Actually William, I told the processor to butterfly the backstrap steaks, keep the two hams and turn everything else into breakfast sausage. The wifee loves the breakfast sausage he makes.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Holy smokes that's a big hog. Looks like you could tone that load down a little. Glad to see you finally got her. Was she pregnant?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Wow, i guess it's big enough. :eek:
Some hog farmer down the road, gonna be missing that big sow. ;D

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Nice one Dave! Looks like a 444 puts a tiny bit more hurtin on a pig than a 44 mag!

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
;D ;D You guys are brutal!!! ;D ;D I really thought she would be bigger but we have all experienced the proverbial 'ground shrinkage'. I also knew she was as big around as a wash tub but not long legged and that proved correct. She had 3 fetuses in her so she wasn't full of little piggies. FYI I have a video clip of a big boar following her closely, nosing her ;) a couple of days ago.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
best bore that boar with a 444. ;D

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
You guys that have hogs sure are lucky, get to do alot of shooting and using them Marlins. Do hogs come in just after dark or could it be hours on average?

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They seem to run on cycles. That last hawg I shot had been with that group at that feeder for 5 nights straight which must be some sort of record. They were coming in just before dark up until 9:00 p.m. That evening I was watching another area and heard them, picked up the flap on the pop-up and could just see them 30 yd away.

Usually they will come to the same place at least every other evening...usually. I have been pretty lucky in predicting and harvesting this year. Not the norm for me. ;D

The boars seem to drop by from midnight on and to around maybe 4:00 a.m. and they become even more secretive. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,101 Posts
Whats your normal hunt Dave, what time do you get there and what time would you leave if you saw nothing you wanted to shoot? Man I'm wishing we had those troublesome swine :)

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Or Lord what is normal? ;D

Tomorrow evening I will be in either a tree stand or pop-up where the North wind will be to my advantage and it happens to be at the same place and close to the same place mentioned above. I will be set up and in place by 6:30 p.m. CST and will hunt until at least 9:00 p.m. After that it just depends on how sleepy I am...or not. ;D If I do not harvest anything and leave I will be vewy vewy quiet as I leave and will actually be very slow and deliberate and hunt all the way to the truck. I own the night...er...well sorta. :D

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I would love having an option at hogs all the time. Son is bugging me about looking into a lease. Its probably easier just to go down and shoot hogs like we did at the ranch. I've gone down 3 times to a "deer farm" and not seen hogs at all, though they'd been seen just the week before. I agree about it all being hunting, but when I trek that far, I'd like to see something. Dave, are there times when the pigs just seem to have bugged out?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts