Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new Marlin 39a Article 11 24" oct. Barrel. Need to know the right combo for a Marbles tang and Lyman Globe. There is not a ramp for the front sight . The front site will be dovetailed right to the barrel. Any suggestions please. Rifle will be used for smallbore sill. matches.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use that very combination of sights in smallbore lever action silhouette matches. I got the shortest lyman globe and had a dovetail cut in the barrel between the srew holes. If you like to keep your head a little higher you may want to look a taller lyman globe. It works well for me because I like my eye a little lower than most folks. I also use the smallest dot on post insert from lee shaver. I used the marbles website to select the correct height tang.
T

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lastest update I purchased the tang sight from midway. It should have come with a short shaft but instead came with standard or medium shaft. rifle shot 3 feet high at 100 yds with sight bottomed out. Called Joan at Marbles and they are sending a short set up for me to try. Hope I can switch them out. It is the original not improved sight I have. If it works I will speak to Troy at Marbles and he will tell me which Lyman 17 I need. It is just very frustrating when your are told by Marlin the wrong info. Keep up the comments. Thank you for your thougts. Eric

·
Registered
121 Posts
Eric

1. Determine the position (height) of the tang that is most comfortable

2. Shoot at 100 yds. and determine how high or low the impact is to aim point

3. Use chart here http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11253/GunTechdetail/Front_Sight_Elevation_Correction_Chart to determine the change in front sight height to impact at aim point.

4. Remove front sight and measure the height from the base to the top of the bead.

5. Add/subtract the number found in 3 to that found in 4

5. Locate a 17A as close as possible. Remember 17A inserts are of different heights (wide post is lower than bead)

·
Registered
121 Posts
You can also install the rear sight. Set the elevation to give you the Cheek pressure and head position you like best. Then zip tie or duct tape a plastic or cardboard front sight made from scrap material on the barrel. Cut it down to zero on Pigs. Then use the measurement to pick the correct 17A height. You won't notice the little bit lower on Chickens and don't have you head so unsupported on Rams

Boats

1 - 8 of 8 Posts