Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Has anyone used this Marbles Bullseye style rear sight that replaces the original Buckhorn.
Please post your impression of this style even without first hand experience.

With the ammo shortages, I have been having much fun with my old 39A but my eyes are not what they were when I was younger using the Buckhorn. I would like to tighten my groups up again.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Okay,here goes, just marginally better than the horrible sights from the factory,and no easier to see. The best and only way is to put a good reciever sight on the side of the receiver, most are already tapped,and either put a smaller bead on the front, file it to a thin post, or install a 17A. Its kind of like benchrest, not everybody shoots benchrest competitively but what they learned trickles down to us. It is that way with lever action silhouette and shooting a 39A, not everyone shoots silhouette, but I guarantee that they have figured out what is needed for sights.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
I put a set on a Rem 33, I love it so much I'm going to do it to the other one as well.I had to install a taller front sight I opted for a day glow fiber optic. Made all the difference in the world.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I have one on a Winchester 22lr single shot. Much improved over the original flat rail rear sight. I also added a taller 1/6 inch bead front sight.
I'd Think A Williams 39 or even a 94/36 receiver sight will mount on a '49.
The additional Sight Radius (5 inches) is a help with the eyes.
Even better for old eyes are tang sights

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have two 39A Mounties.
My 1955 has a Williams receiver peep sight on it. Like that sight really well. This sight is best for aging eyes though.

My 1966 Has the Marbles Bullseye sight. I Love that sight. Works well and easy to get fast acquisition of targets with. Love the sight so much I have one on my 1894CB45 and my Henry 45/70 also. But it will not help for the aging eyes.
Here is my 1966 39A Mountie.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
I had one on a Henry Mini-Bolt that replaced the fiber optic green rear sight and liked it. It was rather blurry but fit my needs until I found a scope that fit that rifle and my eyes. Used the long Marbles sight with the short elevator.
That being said, I'd suggest going with a receiver mounted sight. The image is clearer and much faster to access than the Marbles sight.
I have a Williams foolproof on mine, and a Lyman 66 on my '48 39a. HTH

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I tried it on another rifle and suppose it is some improvement, but more for hunting.
As others have said, I much prefer either the William's or the tang mounted Marbles peep for accuracy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate all the feedback.
I had not realized how tall they stand up.
There are two rings, a small one inside of a larger one.

The ghost ring is the smaller one.

What is the advantage/purpose of the outer ring?
Its this outer ring which results in the Bullseye peep being so tall when installed.

Regards

·
Registered
342 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback.
I had not realized how tall they stand up.
There are two rings, a small one inside of a larger one.

The ghost ring is the smaller one.

What is the advantage/purpose of the outer ring?
Its this outer ring which results in the Bullseye peep being so tall when installed.

Regards
I believe the outer ring serves no purpose for sighting, it appears to be an outer protective ring for the inner aperture ring, or possibly just for styling.

I have them on all of my Marlin's, my 68 year old eyes not longer work well with most buckhorn or semi-buckhorn rear sights. These style appeture sight aren't for precise target work like like Skinner or Lyman peep sights, they are more for quick/easier target acquisition with what I call "field" accuracy, like regular most stock sight rear sights.

I also like them because they still maintain the classic traditional lever action look.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I installed one on a Rossi "pump" .22, paired with a fiber optic front sight. It was a huge improvement over the original sights, which I really couldn't see well at all. The Rossi "pump" receiver did not lend itself to an (easy) receiver sight.

Luisyamaha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts