Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's obvious that I'll never learn to shoot buck horn sights as accurate as I would like. I can shoot peep sights good enough, but not buck horns. I do like the sights from mr Skinner -I have two sets- but I would like something that looks more like the original sights on my new 1895CB. Something that doesn't interfere with the beautiful lines of the receiver.

While searching the net I came across this rear sight from Marble:

Have any of you good folks tried this setup? And if you have -is it suitable for hunting and general target practice?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
That looks interesting. Only thing is that traditional peep sights give you a longer sight plane. Not sure how well they would work mounted in place of buckhorn rear sight. Focus problems maybe??

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about the sight plane, but the 1895Cb has a generous barrel length of 26”, so I still have a fairly long sight radius if I mount this sight in the dove tail.

At the ripe old age of 39 I start to experience problems when I shoot with buck horn sights, but I imagine that it will be easier to focus on the front sight trough this sight.

Due to impatience I ordered such a sight from midway. It didn't cost much anyway, so if it doesn't work out it's no big loss. I do like the idea of regulating for height in an instant due to the step ladder. Here's an other picture (I'm not going with the red globe):

And the URL:

http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Malle, good luck. Let us know how it works out. Wait till you hit 57. I love peep sights but all my hunting rifles are now scoped.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fhmusa :)!

I'm not sure it's my eyes. I believe they don't make the front sights with as good definition as they used to... ::) ;D

I'll report back when I've tried them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would not buy anything made by Marbles. The company is not the same as it was years ago quality and service are long gone. I bought a field craft knife years ago and the tip broke field dressing a deer. When I contacted Marbles the "lifetime guarantee" does not cover that. Products are not all from Gladstone MI anymore now they mostly are from China.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems like quality is out of style no matter what one would like to buy now a days :(. On the other hand, I don't think “made in China” always is a bad thing. I bought a two chinese airguns -one for my self and one for my nephew- last spring and they have both been impressive. Both are copies of RWS/ Diana M48. I have one RWS M46 that I bought five years ago, and that one has multiple plastic parts. Including trigger guard, trigger, sights and some other parts. The “China guns” have all their parts made out of metal and both shoot as good as the RWS. The RWS costs almost twice as much as the two China guns put together. Mine has gone about 2000 shots without anything breaking and I guess my nephew's have been used much more than that (he's got the shooting and hunting bug bigtime! ;D).

I did send a mail to Marble about this sight and got a reply within five minutes. That counts for something in my book -at least when it comes to customer service. I ordered mine from www.Midway.no (Norway), so if anything breaks they will be held responsible according to national law. But the sight didn't cost much anyhow.

I'm more than a little curious about this “Bullseye” design. I have never seen anything quite like it, and I wonder if it's something that actually can be used for accurate shooting. It looks like a good idea, but I'm guessing it will be different from an ordinary peep sight since the distance between the eye and peep is going to be greater.

I hope I get it before next weekend so I can try it out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
For the money this is an excellent sight. I wanted to try one on my 38-55 a few months ago and everyone had them on back order. I called customer service at Marbles to see when they would start making them again. The guy I talked to said they were moving to different buildings or something and would be a month or so before production again. But then he offered to look around the shop and see if he could find one for me. Four days later I had my sight. Knowing it was going on a 100+ year old rifle he even threw it in a tumbler to "age" it a bit and it really matches well. Looks like its been on the rifle for 50 years. So as far as customer service my experience has been excellent.

I now have them on 2 other rifles. The only thing I would caution is they have a shorter version for carbines but because it is so short it is VERY stiff and hard to change the elevation. I am ordering a long one for the carbine just for that reason.

I use my 38-55 and 45-70 for cast bullet sillouette at my club and have been able to taylor loads with the elevation ramp to maintain on target zero's at 100, 150 and 200yds.

Until I win the lottery and can afford tang peep or vernier sights I think these work great.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my Bullseye sight today, but for some reason I got the short version and not the long model that I ordered. I thought about sending it back, but since I had planned a trip to the range I decided to give it a try (I'm not an especially patient person). It took the better part of two hours to remove enough metal so it would fit in the dove tail, but at last I was able to punch it home. It looks all right, but somewhat unusual/ strange.

The short version of this sight is not easy to adjust for elevation and after forcing it to the highest possible adjustment I still shot about four inches low. This was corrected by switching the slider with the one that belongs to the original sight. This gave me enough height to put the 350 grs bullets I was shooting at the correct height at 100 meters. The 400 gr bullets came in a little lower. There is no way I can adjust the poi higher without changing the front sight.

This sight is a great improvement overt the original buck horns. It made it possible to get the front sight into sharp focus -and my grouping improved considerably. It's also very quick when it comes to align the sights with the target. The globe on the front sight covers to much of the target, and a rectangular post would make it easier to shoot with precision at smaller objects than the black bullseye target I used today. I tried a few shots at a raindeer siluoethe and the bullets hit where I wanted them to.

But I'm going to replace them with a sight from mr. Skinner. Not because the Marble Sight didn't work, but because I cannot adjust them for longer range -and the Skinner sights seems more reliable and durable. An option I consider is to order a new rear sight from Marble with the longer stem/ spring (what do you call it?), since this will be easier to adjust.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I had been waiting for a Bullseye to get off the back ordered status but while I was waiting I came up with something I think is better. It is another option, especially if money is tight and you can't quite afford to spend upwards of $55 to $90 for a receiver mounted peep and yet want something very easily adjustable for elevation. It was just an experiment I did with my 22 Henry and I have yet to find a compelling reason to change it. I took the sight that came with the gun (Marbles Buckhorn) and removed the little card that came with it and cut a square piece of brass from an old brass case and fit it in the where the card was. I drilled a hole in the brass and it makes a great peep sight, and by sliding the brass up or down lets me fine tune the adjustment more than just the ramp would. Then I put a cross hair front sight and I really like this setup.. It would be essentially free to have more brass inserts made up with different sized holes for different lighting.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow :eek:!

Eaglesnest, that's a great idea, and I hope you don't mind me stealing it. I like this setup a lot -andt beside the ingenious possibility for height adjustment it looks much better than anything that I have seen. This will keep the lines of my 1895CB “clean” and still give me a crisp sight picture. What size is your aperture?

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Malle said:
Wow :eek:!

Eaglesnest, that's a great idea, and I hope you don't mind me stealing it. I like this setup a lot -andt beside the ingenious possibility for height adjustment it looks much better than anything that I have seen. This will keep the lines of my 1895CB “clean” and still give me a crisp sight picture. What size is your aperture?
By all means go for it! It isn't mine anyway, I saw it a while back somewhere, I think here on MO actually. I just checked and it looks like the hole is 7/64". I made it that size because it makes a faint ring of light around the front cross hair sight so centering it in the aperture is as natural as walking.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Malle and eaglesnest,

Thanks for taking the time to do these posts.

I’m still experimenting with my GBL (sights that is).

This is good information.

I’m really enjoying being a part of the MO.

·
Banned
610 Posts
eaglesnest said:
I had been waiting for a Bullseye to get off the back ordered status but while I was waiting I came up with something I think is better. It is another option, especially if money is tight and you can't quite afford to spend upwards of $55 to $90 for a receiver mounted peep and yet want something very easily adjustable for elevation.<<>>
Williams 5D sight is under $30 at Midway.

Great job on your peep.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
mogwai said:
Williams 5D sight is under $30 at Midway.

Great job on your peep.
Yeah, a Williams would be good, I forgot about those...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Inspired by eaglesnest's peep sight I dug around in my reloading room to se if I could find anything usable to make an insert from. An old flat spring from a Lyman priming tool had just the right dimensions, so I'm going to cut and drill it tomorrow. I'm exited to see how it turns out :)!

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Malle said:
Inspired by eaglesnest's peep sight I dug around in my reloading room to se if I could find anything usable to make an insert from. An old flat spring from a Lyman priming tool had just the right dimensions, so I'm going to cut and drill it tomorrow. I'm exited to see how it turns out :)!
Let us know how it works..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts