Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stopped at a LGS today, and as im looking at the lever gun rack I noticed a marauder in 30-30. Its not in great condition, has a missing bulls eye, and external pitting on the receiver. Now I know what they have been going for on gunbroker, but what would you guys consider them worth? It could be in my hands for a bit over $720, if it didn't have the pitting it would be a no brainier, but im not sure with that pitting. The pitting is on both sides of the receiver, the barrel looks good. Bore is shiny no real visible pitting, a bit of wear. I tried trading, but he wanted around $1000 worth of trades so I passed. What do you guys think??

photo(4).JPG

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Good judgment there. Sounds way high to me. If you look around, and are patient, they can be had for 350-500. There are a lot of 30-30s out there.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
Good judgment there. Sounds way high to me. If you look around, and are patient, they can be had for 350-500. There are a lot of 30-30s out there.
X-2

·
Registered
569 Posts
Too rich for my blood too, hopefully the bore wasn't that pitted.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Good lord that is way too high!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,162 Posts
I also along with my last statement agree that I would not pay the asking price for the condition explained.

Reactions: Pereira

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
I don't disagree with passing on the rifle because of the receiver pitting, but there were only ~3,800 ever made in .30-30; they are not common and not going down in price either. When people are paying over $1000 for a Marauder in nice condition, what are you expecting lesser condition to go for? A bargain would have been $500-600!? shoot straight, gewehr

here are two, one of each caliber originally offered

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am something of a Marlin collector by default, having quite a few and being a particular admirer of the 336 genre. I have a couple of Marauders in the mix. Yet my stripes come form collecting within other primary focuses over many decades. Thus I offer my opinion.
While the rifle int the photo doesn't took terrible, I believe that the price is excessively pushing the envelope. As far as I'm concerned, the grading systems for such modern guns as the 336 and like vintage pieces involve considerations such as normal wear & tear. Pitting is quite another thing and value really take a hit. I wouldn't allocate that kind of money to such a rifle. A cleaner one provides not only increased pride of ownership but also affords a better investment for appreciation purposes. Something of a double win. While not necessarily advocating bottom fishing, patience is a virtue and the chase worthwhile.
Just my take.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Pitting is pitting and turns me off. A marauder may be somewhat scarce but it's still a modern gun. This one is way over priced in that condition!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Let me clear that up. Investment, Collecting are far far different than a rifle your willing to fall off a mountain with while hunting! Intended use may dictate price on this deal. I gotta use mine so minor blemishes are nothing. Day comes I can collect I'll look for the finest specimens I can find. Guess what I'm sayin is if all I wanted was a short barreled straight stock Marlin I would build one. Wish you the best,,,J BOBWAY!!!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
To rich for my blood, I'd pass on it!

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I don't need any more 30-30's, but wouldn't mind having one; would prefer a .35rem if possible though, ha. However, when I sstart drooling then see prices like that or similair I think of all the other things I could get for the same amount of bucks, and frankly don't think it really worth it for my uses... not to me anyway on my income, despite my Marlin weaknesses, lol. It's kinda' my impression looking at some of the prices I see people are asking for certain models, that Remington has helped drive them up with their production issues, creating a demand of sorts for Marlin fans willing to pay too much? If that ever turned around and Rem put out a consistantly quality product, perhaps even more choices, it's possible some better reality in pricing the older JM Marlins might happen... I dunno'...? Just thinking out loud I guess, what do I know, and certainly no expert on values. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Too much for a beater for sure. On the other hand there have not been any decent Marauders offered in my neck of the woods for $350 (from a shop) in a lot of years.

I have a few collector grade firearms, but for a shooter, they are just too easy to make or to have made in my case. Pitting drives me nuts.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
If I wanted that gun I don't care what anyone says I would buy it and then have that sucker reblued and then refinish the wood and I would have a rifle to be proud of.

But then thats just me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts