Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Welcome Bell. Nice build you’re doing. I love CCH on levers, so will be looking forward to seeing the final product.

I’m also a sucker for a 16” levergun. I have two Henrys in that length (.357 Big Boy steel, and a SGC .22 LR with the octagon barrel). I’d have another if anyone made a .30-30 in 16.5” these
days. I ended up with a 336BL as my main carry carbine. It will be on all my deer hunts this year. I’m in BC so lots of tight brush and mountains, but with open fields and logging cuts thrown in. I went with a Natchez close-out on the Nikon 1-4x20 M223 scope. It’s also on QR rings and I have a Skinner peep for in the tight stuff or on the hike in when I can slim down the package by tucking the scope in my pack. I’d love to slim down the furniture a bit on the BL but it’s really nice wood with decent checkering. Maybe I should find a spare set to work on...
Ya know , checkering wood takes practice and tools but it’s super rewarding. I’m practicing on a couple of old junk stocks now. I learned to checker metal about 20 years ago and It wasn’t till I ruined several decent pistol frames that I got the hang of it. Hope to see pics of your deer harvests. Where I hunt you are lucky to get a 140 pound buck. Still good eating though

·
Registered
639 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another Floridian.
Looks like you have embarked on a great project. I really like the looks of the wood. Thanks for the pics and updates.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
Nah that I think is worth farming out. Too much specialized equipment and trial and error to produce a quality product. The hot blue takes tanks and chemicals that are not at all cost effective. I’m sending it off to Wyoming arms. Nice fella, does lovely work, and he actually answers his telephone which seems to be a rarity when it comes to gunsmiths.
I thought about a bluing tank. Messing around with 700F salts and fumes is not all that appealing to me. I have seen a few home hot blue projects end up with a purple hue because the solution was tool cold. I don't blame you one bit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ya know , checkering wood takes practice and tools but it’s super rewarding.

Hope to see pics of your deer harvests. Where I hunt you are lucky to get a 140 pound buck. Still good eating though
I restore vintage Airstreams for a living, so tool work is my thing. I don’t have the time right now for a lot of practice though.

If I connect on a deer I’ll definitely post pics...

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Well it looks like it's gonna be a looker when you finish it. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
If anybody cares I can attest that the finish that warne puts on their scope rings is probably the toughest coating known to man. Since o am sending them with the rifle to be color case hardened I was going to prep the metal for the smith. That jazz was harder to remove than skin. Had to bead blast em. Otherwise they are a fine piece of kit. Extremely well made.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Got the design for a base that will be soldered onto the mag tube. Idea being to sink a QR sling grommet in the base. I’ll probably dress it up and trim it down a bit but here is the draft

DE00D0F4-4C26-4CCA-B8E2-7D08ADB18FA6_1593553086040.jpeg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Got the first draft of the base done. Too thick. Contour is good for a secure soldering Now I’ll dress it down and make it a bit more less clunky C70AB30B-E1CA-41C0-899B-C840A174E914_1593643977701.png
6466C80D-34B0-4C8B-A061-C9BB48110D5A_1593644020706.png
E227A744-0BB6-4E67-A3F9-3B9374AE9E11_1593644061985.jpeg

I imagine lots of folk will cringe at the last thumbnail. Fear not!!!! I have an air compressor !!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Has anyone here ever thought of a 357 maximum lever gun built on 336 ? I have no interest in chambering or timing of the action. But if you know a smith that has interest in building a pointless rifle lemme know. Also north Florida I had had three Sasquatch sightings in the last ten days. Just saying

·
Registered
156 Posts
Has anyone here ever thought of a 357 maximum lever gun built on 336 ? I have no interest in chambering or timing of the action. But if you know a smith that has interest in building a pointless rifle lemme know. Also north Florida I had had three Sasquatch sightings in the last ten days. Just saying
3 ACTUAL Sasquatch sightings? Cool.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
3 ACTUAL Sasquatch sightings? Cool.
Never mind. Just my uncle without his shirt on. 3 times. Guy never puts his shirt on

21 - 40 of 46 Posts