Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe it is an early one, from what info I have found on the interwebs. Six digit serial number 0090XX. Arrow on bolt handle. Regular front sight, no cut out hood. No bolt hold open in mag housing. Uncheckered Birch stock.
Anything else I can tell you to help?
I have already ordered a Black Jack buffer and a 16.5# spring, can't wait to wring this thing out!
Thanks to all the other members for providing a great spot to discuss these cool carbines!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I believe it is an early one, from what info I have found on the interwebs. Six digit serial number 0090XX. Arrow on bolt handle. Regular front sight, no cut out hood. Uncheckered Birch stock.
Anything else I can tell you to help?
I have already ordered a Black Jack buffer and a 16.5# spring, can't wait to wring this thing out!
Thanks to all the other members for providing a great spot to discuss these cool carbines!
I cannot remember exactly how to date them, but none the less you will enjoy the gun. I did the buffer and 16# spring too and find it to be an excellent shooter. However the heavier spring will feel a bit stiff at first, but you will get used to it.

Read through the stickies though, you will find a lot of good information on them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cannot remember exactly how to date them, but none the less you will enjoy the gun. I did the buffer and 16# spring too and find it to be an excellent shooter. However the heavier spring will feel a bit stiff at first, but you will get used to it.

Read through the stickies though, you will find a lot of good information on them.
Just finished the buffer and spring replacement, hope to shoot it soon.
Still had the original buffer, although it was in 2 pieces. The flat part of the buffer had fallen into the action and the round part crumbled as I dug it out. He probably tried to shoot it and things didn't go well, probably why I got a good price on it.
I did read the stickies, very informative!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just finished the buffer and spring replacement, hope to shoot it soon.
Still had the original buffer, although it was in 2 pieces. The flat part of the buffer had fallen into the action and the round part crumbled as I dug it out. He probably tried to shoot it and things didn't go well, probably why I got a good price on it.
I did read the stickies, very informative!
Yeah, mine still had the original buffer and it was all intact when I dug it out. I suspect either the rifle was damaged from the factory, or the original owner broke it.

I traded a New Model Blackhawk for it, and I wondered why. lol

It would jam every round or every other round, FTE and I found that the housing where all the pins would go through was cracked or broken. So when I order the buffer and spring I just added a new housing and viola it would shoot like new. They whole gun looked new, even had the Marlin stickers still on it.

I love shooting it, although charging it with that 16# spring is a bit more effort that the original, but Im getting used to it. My only problem is obsessing over all that spent brass and not being able to find all of them after I shoot. Not like I should worry, I must have 2000 rounds of brass by now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have bought two Camp 9 that had the original buffers all but disintegrated to dust. It was a good thing they haden't been fired in a while and that I was smart enough to (initially) read up on the Camp 9 and replace the buffers before trying. Such an easy fix, it is surprising to me that there are so many cracked stocks out there.

Agreed about the stiffer 16# spring, but it is just something to get used to. Now, a 20# spring in the Camp 45 must be a bear to charge.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm shooting my Camp 9 with a wolf twenty pounder, it feeds and ejects perfectly. The charging is fine, it's reassembling after cleaning that's a bear!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update on my Camp 9.
Got a chance to shoot it with 50rd 115gr and 50rd 147gr, ran through the 100rds with out a problem. Choate side folder came in, and now she's wearing that. Seems like a very handy package. Now I'm thinking about mounting a Bushnell TRS 25 I have sitting around. Wouldn't be much trouble to mount a short rail under the front for a flashlight/laser. New toys are so much fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts