Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only like forums that keep it real, and that I can learn from. So here's my humble contribution to keeping it real. Took my new TC mzl and my Marlin to the range yesterday, but it was nearly a waste of gas and time. First of all, I forgot my funnel top for my powder, so I didn't even try to pour any and no shots out of my new IMPACT.

But you wouldn't believe what I did when trying to zero my Marlin. I had it less than two inches from being zeroed, and then I did one of the stupidest things I've ever done. See what my scopes look like without the caps on below? Well, this new Redfield has the ONLY scope turrets I've EVER had that were still black underneath the caps...and since I hit my mid forties I've been wearing reading glasses. Add to that, shooting glasses were fogged up from the heat, and you guessed it. I looked down at the scope to make an adjustment and proceeded to try to unscrew the cap that wasn't there! So after wasting a few more precious rounds of Hornady Leverevolution rounds to the accompaniment of AR concussion blasts from both my right and left, I called it quits after only a 25 yd group that looked like it should be more like a 100 yrd. group.

Lessons learned? Well, basically, Permethrin doesn't work as well as the old stuff at keeping chiggers out of your socks, and chiggers don't make for a decent night's sleep.
M

·
Registered
57 Posts
Chiggers! Man, I haven't thought about those in years. I remember picking blackberries and blueberries with my dad many years ago and having to deal with chiggers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chiggers! Man, I haven't thought about those in years. I remember picking blackberries and blueberries with my dad many years ago and having to deal with chiggers.
I think they like hanging 'round huckleberries, too. Daddy called 'em "red bugs", and that was about right. Anywhere they got on you turned red, and they were really bad about going for the little birds!

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I think the big ones set on the leaves and throw a handful of the little ones at you...Plum thickets-blackjacks- tall grass they are everywhere..

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I have found by chance the miracle cure for poison ivy, just might work for chiggers too. When I was young and had good eyes. I would take a needle and pick them out and put them on a piece of napkin. You can see them moving around after extraction. Can't see the little bugger's now. One day I got poison ivy and had no calydral so I tried some vitamin e lotion. That works better than anything I ever used including the shots and pills from the doctor. If you can find some try it I bet it will work on them chiggers to. Its better than waiting them out. Vitamin E will dry up poison ivy in about 3 days for me and I am highly allergic to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts