Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well my mom is in her 60s and never really liked guns. She has shot 22s and that's about it. As of late she has expressed an interest in self defence, CCW/CHL and buying a gun which suprised the heck out of me. Well my dad has his and my wife and I have ours and we took mama to the gun range to see if any suited her but none did. Dad took her to the gun store to pick out hers and she came home with a S&W M&P 9mm Shield.

Just a quick rundown. This is a great gun! The grip is sculpted in hard rubber so there are no edges or hard spots and it fits everyone with hand sizes from a ladies medium to a mens XL glove. All buttons are right where you need them and not in the way. Having shot Glocks for years I just ignore the safety but it can be flicked off and on. The slide release could be more pronounced but I prefer to run the slide over hitting the button. Mag release is positive and easy to hit. The sights are a 3 dot setup and the rear sight has a notched front so if your weak arm was injured you could rack the slide by catching the rear sight on a belt or belt loop. Being an old time 1911 man a gun lives snd dies by itd trigger and a Glock needs a bit of polishing to make it tolerable. The trigger on the shield is for lack of a better term Two stage. There is a small amount of take up and a crisp wall that breaks with about 1/10th of an inch of over travel. The reset is at the break point so its east to stage and recover. The slide is easy to work even for ladies and recoil is very manageable. Probably the best part is the oval grip that allows IWB carry more easily than blocky guns. Accuracy from small guns is never certain but this gun will give you head shots on sillouettes out to 20 yards if you do your part.

Would i own one? You bet.

I thought you guys would enjoy this review.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Good to hear the quick review but even better to know you Mom is a bit safer! Practice practice practice!!!

·
Premium Member
13,412 Posts
Good for your Mother!

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have the same gun and was very surprised when I first shot it...it's kind of like a full sized gun in a pocket pistol size. The most satisfying part has been the accuracy. Mine has been everything you mentioned...at a very reasonable price! Glad she likes it.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
My wife just picked one up. Went to the range on Saturday and she loves it! She put a quick 100 rounds through it in a mixture of 115 FMJ RN, 147 JHPs, and some handloads. No hicups what so ever and it put them where she aimed. I think S&W has a winner here as well!

·
Premium Member
10,675 Posts
I've had a 40 S&W Shield since they first came out........I got the 1st one my Gunsmith was able to get in about April.....
Head shots at 20 yards?........Easy!........It feels like a full sized pistol to me.
I did do a modification to the 3 Dots sights..........I painted the front Flourescent Orange, and the rear Flourescent Green...........Its now faster for my eyes.

Holsters were not available (in April) except via mail or the internet, and I like touchy/feely, so I made my own IWB holster, similar to a Milt Sparks Sommer Special, and it carries as good as most 380's..............

My only concern is, I need (want) to understand the striker design better, so I can make an informed decision if the safety is needed.........

Tom

·
Premium Member
18,011 Posts
Mom having a gun of her own sure simplifies Christmas.............get her more ammo!

Reactions: planeflyer21

·
Premium Member
12,095 Posts
I been looking for a 9mm shield for months now. I bought a 9c about a year ago and love it. A little later I heard about the shield and called my ffl guy to see about availability. He couldn't get one but could get a sweet deal on a regular M&P9 so I got one of those. I love it too. The cool thing is the com tac holster I got for the 9c also works great for the big gun, its an iwb holster that's lether on the inside and kydex on the outside. Either gun is pretty comfy in it but the big one gets heavy with 18 rounds in it. Anyhow I'm still looking for a 9mm shield. The local shop had 2 in 40 but I don't want another caliber to deal with. I currently carry a Ruger lc9 but I shoot the others so much and so well I'd like my carry piece to be the same action.

Tom, I don't think I'd sweat the safety. I don't like that hey call these double action, they're not. Far as I am concerned they're striker fired single actions. But, I can't see the striker getting released without a trigger squeeze and if it did there's a firming pin block anyway. If you take off the slide and look at the bottom there's a button on the right (from behind as you would hold it, it's on the left when its upside down) that's a firing pin block. The trigger bar cams that up before it acts on the sear. In other words, if the trigger isn't pulled the gun cant fire. Neither of mine have the safety and I trust them. That said I might use it on the shield if its easy and natural to sweep off. I use it on my lc9 because I can sweep it down with my thumb as I obtain my grip.

·
Premium Member
18,011 Posts
I been looking for a 9mm shield for months now. I bought a 9c about a year ago and love it. A little later I heard about the shield and called my ffl guy to see about availability. He couldn't get one but could get a sweet deal on a regular M&P9 so I got one of those. I love it too. The cool thing is the com tac holster I got for the 9c also works great for the big gun, its an iwb holster that's lether on the inside and kydex on the outside. Either gun is pretty comfy in it but the big one gets heavy with 18 rounds in it. Anyhow I'm still looking for a 9mm shield. The local shop had 2 in 40 but I don't want another caliber to deal with. I currently carry a Ruger lc9 but I shoot the others so much and so well I'd like my carry piece to be the same action.

Tom, I don't think I'd sweat the safety. Neither of mine have the safety and I trust them. That said I might use it on the shield if its easy and natural to sweep off. I use it on my lc9 because I can sweep it down with my thumb as I obtain my grip.
Ken, that's one of the most important things about why we prefer the guns we do, it all has to do with what you're used to. Those of us that cut our teeth on Browning-pattern (1911) guns know that no system is more intuitive, you wipe off the safety DOWN as you assume your grip, nothing else is as natural. Lots of other designs have tried other ways of doing it, but they require a change in the manual of arms. With the Beretta guns, for instance, the safety is mounted on the slide, and has to be flipped UP. The only way to make that natural is to pop the safety while the gun is still in the holster, as you start to assume your grip. Hence it's not as natural, and certainly not as safe. That Browning feller was pretty smart!

I agree with your description of the gun as a striker-fired SA, but I still worry about something getting into that triggerguard and firing the gun, I like having the safety as a way to lock the gun............but it still has to be where I can reach it!

Reactions: Tomray and Stalker

·
Premium Member
12,095 Posts
I agree with your description of the gun as a striker-fired SA, but I still worry about something getting into that triggerguard and firing the gun, I like having the safety as a way to lock the gun............but it still has to be where I can reach it!
Anythings possible I guess John. The holsters I use cover the trigger guard and I dont sweat it, if it bugged me I'd get them with the saftey, all the models are available with one. My Beretta I carried with the chamber loaded hammer down, saftey off, that way I never reallly had to deal with the saftey beyond decocking. Might have been different if it down was "fire" though.

Anyway I really like these American made tupperware guns. The only caution I'll give is be real sure of the model & features when/if you order or buy one. My M&P9C has no mag safter or thumb saftey, but the M&P9 I got has the mag saftey. No big deal but Id have preffered them be exactly alike. Unfortunately I didnt notice until after I';d shot the gun so I'm stuck with it. I was trying to compare trigger pulls after my first range session when I noticed it. Theres alot of varieties on most models, though the shield I think is only one version for now. In different chamberings of course.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts