Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I would like to say hi my name is Michael and I have a newly aquired Marlin addiction. I am a member of castboolits and I was referred here, This my third marlin CF, and I only like the older ones preferably non micro grooved, but my444S is microed and I am beginning to like it more and more, so my opinion may well be changing.

At any rate the post that led me here:

Today I bought an old marlin model 94 in 44-40 and I have a few questions.

The gun has an odd cutout on the right hand side of the forearm about 2 inches long and 1/4 inch wide.. what was that for? I was thinking some kind of scabbord clip, it looks alot like the cutout on a 30 carbines barrel band retainer thingy attachment area that is in their forearm.

It also has a weird scallopped line running lengthwise dead center the length of the underside of the forearm about 1/4 inch wide, what is that for, never seen it before.

The steel wrapover butt plate has U.S on it, was this a military gun?

The gun looks to have been reblued, but unsure, and has a dovetail filled in at the muzzle where the mag would normally attach, and it only has a half to 3/4 magazine. Has it been altered?

Has a real neat buckhorn type flip up rear sight that looks like it belongs, and the reciever has two holes tapped in the top of it, whith blind screws installed.

Overall it is great condition the bore is great looking, but it may have been reblued(stamping of pat dates is awfully light) and at one point the stock has has some beautiful TLC on the finish.

That is all I know, thus far.....serial is #4386**

I have never handloaded for this cartridge and know very little about it or the gun so any data, history, suggestions for projectiles and the such would be appreciated..I will have to get brass also, know a good place?..

alot of questions I realize, but any help will be apreciated, the only thing I really know about this marlin is that I would cease to breathe if I did not have it.

There it is :any help for a newbie?

thanks
Michael

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is beginning to sound like your "Carbine" is actually a Marlin Military "musket"

You should be asking this question in the "Marlin collectors" forum

AllanD

1 - 2 of 2 Posts