Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 36 in 30-30 is making the Marlin jam happen on a regular basis...It is clean as a whistle, it has been shot probably 4-5000 times over the years. I assume it is worn parts, except I cannot really see that any of the parts look excessively worn to me.

What the heck?!

(I prefer strawberry jam to Marlin jam any day of the week ::).)

·
Registered
603 Posts
when exactly does it jam? is there a round half stuck in the magazine? does it jam when its feeding to the chamber? is it letting 2 rounds in? does it jam with no rounds in it?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
h-bomb said:
is it letting 2 rounds in?
BINGO!! Isn't this the Marlin jam of lore?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Take the lever off, then look up inside at the bottom of the carrier and see if there is a groove worn in from where the lever touches. If there is a noticeable groove, that can keep the carrier from rising just quite not far enough that it can cause a jam.

Cowboy Action shooters run into this problem on guns that have a lot of rounds through them. I would say 4-5000 rounds is a lot. The cure is to replace the carrier.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Ever cleaned the mag tube? Often that is the only problem, the tube gets dirt from, gloves ect and you push it in with the ammo, then moisture collects on the debris and then it lags a little coming out of the mag tube, enough for the lifter to rise before the round gets on it, and winds up under it. Do check the lifter for wear, and it can be brazed or welded then machined back. Though a new one does cure problems, make sure you have a problem other than dirt.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Interesting thread.

Every once in a while my 336C 35 Rem. gets hung up. As I work the action, the spent round ejects, as the first round comes out of the magazine and is lifted up being guided into the chamber a second round comes into the receiver under the carrier.

I'd like to fix it myself. I don't know how hard it is to take a 336 apart. I've never done it.

NYH1!

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
NYH1 said:
Interesting thread.

Every once in a while my 336C 35 Rem. gets hung up. As I work the action, the spent round ejects, as the first round comes out of the magazine and is lifted up being guided into the chamber a second round comes into the receiver under the carrier.

I'd like to fix it myself. I don't know how hard it is to take a 336 apart. I've never done it.

NYH1!
It's not hard, even I can do it. There are easy to follow pictures in the Gunsmithing Section. They might be pictures of an 1894, but they are basically identical.

·
Super Moderator
15,838 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks guys! ;)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
swany said:
Ever cleaned the mag tube? Often that is the only problem, the tube gets dirt from, gloves ect and you push it in with the ammo, then moisture collects on the debris and then it lags a little coming out of the mag tube, enough for the lifter to rise before the round gets on it, and winds up under it. Do check the lifter for wear, and it can be brazed or welded then machined back. Though a new one does cure problems, make sure you have a problem other than dirt.
After it happened the last time I broke it down completely and cleaned everything. This is something I have done several times a year as the gun gets shot a lot. It must be worn parts I assume. I will get into it a little more Sunday afternoon when I have more free time.

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

·
Super Moderator
15,838 Posts
RIF, this is the Papajohn version for a fix:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,32850.0.html
lever101 posted this in gunsmithing, might have the pj fix included..I haven't read it.
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,67550.0.html
and this by VTDW:
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,19999.0.html

That ought to get you on track, Good luck and don't forget...we all like to know what the results are. It's things like this that help us understand the Marlin rifle better and how to fix them. Mr fixit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts