Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1952A 336 in 35 rem. I'm going to have the barrel cut to 20 in. and drilled and tapped so the ramp sight can be reinstalled. The wood needs to be refinished so I'm going to do this following Eli Chaps procedure. My problem is the former owner put what looks like 3 small finish nails in the stock near the butt and about 2 in. down from the cheek piece. Why I have no idea because there is no crack or split in the stock. It almost looks like he pressed a medalion into the stock and the medallion was sheared off and the prongs were left in the wood. There is no way to pull them out without gouging the wood and I have no idea how long they are. I was thinking of taking a nail set and sinking them into the wood and filling the holes. Any and all ideas would be greatly appreciated. The gun is in good shape with bluing gone on the receiver from being carried. This is going to be my main carry gun for hunting but I still want it to look good.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I just picked up a 1952A 336 in 35 rem. I'm going to have the barrel cut to 20 in. and drilled and tapped so the ramp sight can be reinstalled.
Why stop at 20"? Go for the gold and get it down to 18.5"! Will you be mounting a scope on this rifle?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't cut it yet! I'll trade you my near mint/excellent condition 1957 336 RC in 35 Rem for your 336A in 35 Rem - here's my 336 (99.9% blue). I'm serious. What do you think? Or anybody else who has a 336A in 35Rem that is in good shape. Send me a pm.

·
Premium Member
9,463 Posts
FredT said:
I agree, trade with Bob58 and let the original unbutchered 'A' live.
I second the motion.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the offer but I already have a 1955 RC LNWOB. I also have a 336c, another 336A and a 336XLR. What I would like is an SC. I already set up the C with WW trigger, Skinner Sight and Tru glo front sight. After I cut the barrel I'm going to put the sights on the cut down A. I like the A because it has ballard rifling and no barrel bands.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
biggog said:
Thanks for the offer but I already have a 1955 RC LNWOB. I also have a 336c, another 336A and a 336XLR. What I would like is an SC. I already set up the C with WW trigger, Skinner Sight and Tru glo front sight. After I cut the barrel I'm going to put the sights on the cut down A. I like the A because it has ballard rifling and no barrel bands.
I agree with you!

As far as the nails, if you set them and fill them, you are definitely going to see the fill marks. If they are small it shouldn't be that noticeable, and would be better than nails showing.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why is it you can find 336 A's but 336 SC's don't come up for sale? They made 20,000 more SC's than A's.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Bob58 said:
Anybody else interested in a similar trade? I'd prefer a 336A in 35Rem.
;D Good luck with that. A's in 35 Remington are coveted. RC's are found everywhere.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
biggog said:
Why is it you can find 336 A's but 336 SC's don't come up for sale? They made 20,000 more SC's than A's.
Seems like most people want to hang onto the SC's, and you're right they do seem harder to find.
A suggestion.............try to trade your A for an SC, and both of them stay original?

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did some more research and I was wrong about the 20,000 more SC's. It's over 30,000. I would trade for an SC if they lived close and the SC had Ballard rifling. This model A is in good shape but you can tell it's been hunted with. I gave it a good cleaning and the screws look like they had never been taken out. After I refinish the wood it should look very respectable.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
biggog said:
Because guys like me HOARD them.I love the looks of the 2/3 length mag tube. ;D

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I also say trade it to someone who'll appreciate the "A" riffle, there's to many Stubby Carbines out there to be chopping up a good riffle.

·
Premium Member
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would have no problem trading my 336A for an SC. As long as it has Ballard rifling. The only problem is getting the deal done. There dosen't seem to be a lot of SC's out there for trade or sale. Redmist has one for sale not trade.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts