Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like shorter barreled rifles. They're handy, take ipnless space and, in the case of most 1894s have plento of barrel to wring out the pistol calibers to their greatest potential. Plus, I like the look of the Marauder style barrel/sight. I have an 18.5" 1894CS and an older 1894 .44 with a 20" barrel. After a few measurements, it looks like I can cut it down to the the same dimensions as the 1894CS without relocating the barrel band. All I need to do is cut/crown the barrel, cut a dovetail, install a sight and shorten the magazine tube accordingly. Does anyone have any tips or a tutorial or suggestions as I move ahead on this project? Pitfalls to avoid, tools used, lessons learned or other advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I may do my own tutorial just for the heck of it. Copy on shortening from he back (where the cartridges enter the action).

·
Registered
569 Posts
Good luck and let us know how she turns out!

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Sharps40 has done a few of these, I own his first Marauder, it's pic heavy and a great read!

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
I'd say if you're cutting it to make it short and sweet, goto 16.25"!!! It's only a little more work and will be SWEET!!!#

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cant disagree BG. I thought by going to 18.5 I could get the marauder style while keeping the factory location of the barrel band. I should go 16.5....thats what I've recommended to others in the past. LOL! Time to follow through!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts