Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now that I got her feeding amo decided to put a crescent buttplate and slim the forearm. it was a bit more work than I planed but finaly got it. "good enough to share" the buttplate came from brownells, and was rough. It was also shorter and narrower than the stock. I removed a lot of wood. and finaly got the buttplate polished. the last pic is my final fit test. The wood will get a finish sanding and true oil, and the but plate will get a DIY bluing.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
447 Posts
Wow, how did you manage the curve in the stock?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
nice. I chopped my forearm to thin as well and like it a lot better. looks better too. I also added a metal buttplate, but I used one from treebone. I cerakoted my buttplate because it is no sweaty on my half of texas that I didn't want to rust all my work :)

I can't wait to see how it all comes together for you.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice work.
That butt plate sure has a nice polish. I've debated getting those rough cast ones from Brownell's, you did a great job on it. How hard was it?
started with the grinder and file then belt sander and sand paper. polished it with a small 3" bench grinder I picked up at harbor freight. got a buffing wheel on one side. blued it with some skinner bluing I had laying around
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,609 Posts
scroll saw, file, course sandpaper, and hammer
Using the hammer around the toe area always makes me sweat!:) The fit looks good. Did you make any other changes for to fit to you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the hammer was for the buttplate actually had to pound it a tad bitt flatter. it was fitting well, I screwed it down and used a belt sander to mach the wood to the metal. then used JB woodweld under it to keep it from shifting. Put it together for the woodweld to dry and guess what, it shifted a bit. CRAP... more sanding. once the wood and metal was flush it was stll a bit tweaked. so more sanding to straighten everything out. I actualy took a lot of wood off to get everything straight and true again. and some metal off as well. turned the beltsander upside down and used it. the JB woodweld worked good but was lighter than I hoped. not sure if i'd take on that project again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Outstanding work on that inlay. A one of a kind rifle for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sorry it took so long to get some pics. still not done. screwed up the butplate. had to repolish it. the bluing I used etched the metal. also need more tru oil over the badge area on the stock. been doing some horse trading also. got some running buddies for the old girl
 

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top