Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the morning under, and over, my Jeep. Mostly under I do believe. Have been using it hard for the past couple of months. Lots of miles, and lots of miles of off-pavement use on nasty rocks, sloppy mud, etc... Poor little white Jeep has been bounced around and ridden hard lately.

Today I crawled under it and lubed all the zirc fittings - yes, THIS 2012 actually has grease fittings, and will get more over time. Hate those new sealed bushings that can't be greased. Grrrr....

Changed the gear oil in the front diff as well. It looked good, but I'd done some stream fording and wanted to change it as a precaution.

It's good to get underneath and check on things... A few days ago I removed a branch/borderline log, from one of the skidplates. Sheesh...

Mechanical things are all subject to wear & tear, but I do actually still enjoy doing most of my own routine maintenance. Nice to know things are pretty much squared away before hunting season.

Still thinking on a new set of tires though...

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
It's a lot easier to fix small problems before they become big ones,especially in the field. Plus the cost of replacement vehicles now,(at least here)means its best to look after what you've got. Also good to know what's what in case you do have to do repairs on the go.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have to look into getting fittings for the wife's 13 Wrangler, my 03 has all fittings that can be greased. I have to agree that I do not like the new ones.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Those of us who help put the "OR" in off road have a clue.:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spent some more time under the Jeep a couple of days ago. Nothing major. Changed the lube in the rear diff. Took a long, hard look at things. I've still got a small air leak near the compressor for one of the air lockers. No big deal, I just have to make some more time to take that apart and re-seal it.

Really ought to take a vacuum to the rear cargo area... Between hauling some wood, camping supplies, a bird dog, and dead critters this hunting season, it's a little nasty back there!

Guy

·
Registered
726 Posts
Have to say I like being able to do things myself, but despite mecainal experice on heilcopters and diesel vechiles like humvees and 7 ton trucks I don't know much more then changing brakes, tires or raditors so most of the time i just check fuild levels on my 4 runner. there is a check engine light and i got a qutoe to fix it about 400 less than another crate engine plus parts and labor about the cost of cratre engine. Nope holding out until the engie gives up the ghost then swining a new engine in and possbily new transmission. I personally won't but another vechile newer than about 2005 again to much emissions junk on them now. Keep wrenching vechiles are way to expesnive these days

1 - 8 of 8 Posts