Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marlinman,

I recall reading in a previous post that you use piano wire for main springs? Wire seems like it would be way to flexible but I know some piano wire can be pretty thick. If this is correct what size and where can I get some?

Thanks,
Jeff,
Arizona (a relatively free state)

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Jeff -

I believe Gun Parts in NY makes wire replacement mainsprings. I tried one, and it worked ok, but an original would have been much better. They show up on ebay from time to time.......Now lets see what the Master comes up with - bet he has a source for original type replacements....

·
Registered
394 Posts
Wisner makes outstanding mainsprings. I just put one in my 1893 "B".

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
OR. You can order various thicknesses of round or flat spring stock from Brownell's & fashion as needed. When I was making one model 27 from 3, one of the receivers has a bent & wound main spring that certainly looked like it had been fashioned from a hangar. I doubt it was, as the steel is rotten in those. It was painted green, though. You sure see some creative shade-tree gunschmidt repairs! SW

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I've never used piano wire for a mainspring, but I do use it for trigger return springs. The diameter of piano wire needed to make a good mainspring would be nearly impossible to bend tight enough to create a loop for the retaining screw. It is possible to do, by heating the wire in the area you want the hole for the screw, but then you would need to retemper it.
I use .048-.053" wire for trigger springs, and on most guns this will reduce trigger pull @3-8 lbs, depending on how heavy it was before. Old Rolling Blocks really work well with this change. Mine went from 11 lbs. to 3 lbs., with just a trigger spring change.
I buy the piano wire at a local hardware store called Winks. It's not available at most hardware stores, so you'll need to find a hardware store that has a large inventory, or look in the phone book for people who tune pianos, and ask them for a local source of wire. It runs about $5 a pound here. That makes a lot of springs!
Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts