Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you use magnum type primers in your 1895cb 45 70?
What typeof shooting do you use them for and what are your experiences using them?

·
Registered
938 Posts
I use them all the time(that's what I have) for my shooting I dont see a difference between the two. I even use Large pistol primers

·
Registered
970 Posts
I use Winchester LP (standard/magnum) primers in most of my straight wall larger rifle cartridges. This is a hold over from FTFs with a couple of handi rifles with not so strong primer strikes.

BB

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've used Winchester large rifle primers and have seen a little left over powder with 5744 with some left overs I've heard this is typical of this powder. I don't recall leftovers w/ h4198 but like the characteristics of 5744. I bet if I switch primers it's going to throw my velocities out the door:shot:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I once bought a brick of WSPM and compared them to my usual WSP using my .38 special CAS loads in my 1894CBC.
I shot 2 sets of loads, only difference being my standard Winchester Small Pistol primers vs Winchester Magnum Small Pistol.
These loads were fired through an Ohler Chrono from a rest at a 25 yard paper target.
The loads utilizing the magnum primers grouped much tighter, and the standard deviation in velocity was cut in 1/2, to under 10fps.

If I remember correctly the powder was W231.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
I tried magnum primers for awhile, when building blackpowder rounds. Switched to CCI BR primers to lower the pressure and make kill anything on the planet rounds instead (using modern powders)

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I have heard of people using Pistol primers in rifle rounds so.... does anyone use rifle primers in pistol rounds?

Doc

·
Super Moderator
8,054 Posts
I routinely use winchester large rifle magnum primers in my loads for the 45-70 and truly have seen little if any difference. I also use them in some 30-30 loads with imr 4198 and work fine.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Doc,
I Use Both Std. Small Rifle & Small Pistol Mag Primers in my .357 1894.
Both Shoot Great & Can't tell the Difference Between the 2.
Always use the Mags when Loading w/ H-110 or W-296.
Lil Gun & Trail Boss Loads Don't Care what primers I use & SP work Fine for them.
Prefer the SP Mags as they are the Most readily Available 'round Here.
Back to the Original Post, I'd Use the Mag Primers in a 45-70 just because the Case Is Huge.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I use CCI 250 large rifle magnum primers for my 500gr bullet loads that I make for my XLR.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts