Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my older reloading manuals the recommended primer for 2400 in 44 Rem Magnum is a CCI 350 Large Pistol Magnum.

I've been using these with good results and no signs of danger (as far as I know) with my 2400 loads in 44 and 357 (small pistol magnum). No extraction problems or unusually shaped primers.

Am I damaging my gun and am I risking safety with these loads?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your question is very open ended....

Personally I use magnum primers with my heavy 2400 loads. If I dont I get quite a bit of unburned granules in the barrel.
But I have worked up to these loads and I am certain they are safe in my guns.

So to answer your question, an unsafe load will depend more on the amount of powder than the presence of a magnum primer. Yes a mag primer can and will raise pressures. But for certain loads it is just required, so in those cases, cut back a bit on the powder.

I hope you understand my ramblings...

CW

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
I switched to rifle primers a few years back, the only time I've used pistol primers since is when my brother gave me a brick of 1000. The rifle primers definately ignite the 2400 well.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Wet Dog said:
In my older reloading manuals the recommended primer for 2400 in 44 Rem Magnum is a CCI 350 Large Pistol Magnum.

I've been using these with good results and no signs of danger (as far as I know) with my 2400 loads in 44 and 357 (small pistol magnum). No extraction problems or unusually shaped primers.

Am I damaging my gun and am I risking safety with these loads?
I know of that to which you are probably referring: the excess pressures apparently associated with 2400 and magnum primers. I would also like to know more about what happens when they are used together. I would think reputable current data could be relied upon even if it uses the magnums with 2400. OTOH, unburned powder seems like kind of an irrelevant issue if the loads give the accuracy you want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts