Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't allow mag (.44 & .357) loads at our Pistol Caliber LA matches, to reduce damage to target welds. I allow mag cases with reduced loads and tell those who buy commercial to shoot .44 spcl & .38 spcl.

I've seen a lot of target damage at other clubs over the years. Curious as to how other match directors handle mag loads

·
Registered
121 Posts
On match day our CLA Pistol cartridge director will not allow magnums or anything unknown and possibly hot. We open the range up for practice mid week and he will run a test of loads to see if they can be allowed. Pass you are OK to shoot matches. I shot a Stevens 425 .35 Remington with 158 gr RN 38 special bullets loaded to 1100 fps for a while. Gave it up for a 32/20 Marlin. I am Rimfire MD and choice is easy no magnums .22 or 17

You don't want to turn people away but something hot will cause damage and annoy other shooters on the line. One option is let them shoot a match on the swingers to see if they like the game. I have done that with .22 mag shooters

Boats

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
At the club I shoot at (Bishop Gun Club -- Bishop, CA) If it's legal for the match, we shoot it, magnums included!

Ed

·
Registered
632 Posts
Every range I have shot at all shoot IHMSA at the same time.The poor half size chickens fly over the berm quite often trying to escape.Nearly all the one's I have welded the feet back on weren't welded very well the first time.some of our targets have lasted several years @ two matches a month and 3-6 people shooting .22's two 40 round matches tuesday nights during daylight savings time.There are more full size chickens to weld now then half size.The XP 100's are harder on the targets then the lever guns.

·
Registered
805 Posts
They make us down load at HCRP here in Ft. Worth. You forfit if you damage the targets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts