Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Henry BB 357 blued rifle in new condition. Twisting the knob on the magazine tube to open for loading/reloading is very difficult. I am reluctant to use a file to relieve the notch a bit as I sure as heck don't want it to open accidentally in the field. Is this common with the Henrys or should I get out the file?

T.S.

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
I think the newer ones are a little harder to open than the older ones.
My new H012M41 mag tube is quite a bit stiffer than my older H006M44.

But then that could be from a lot of use.

RP

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard back from Henry - "Thank you for owning a Henry rifle. Sorry to hear about the issue you are having with it.

No sir, it is not normal for the inner mag tube to be difficult to remove or reinstall. To determine the cause and corrective action to repair the rifle, we would like to bring it back for our Wisconsin gunsmith to inspect and repair under warranty."

I'm not sure I want to ship it back to Henry for such a minor issue. I may just open and close it repeatedly to get is loosened up.

T.S.

Reactions: vietnam71

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I assume the inner tube is brass? Any scratches on the area binding? Polish with 4/0 steel wool both brass and external tube at the fastener end, maybe some light deburring. Brush and mop the external tube, internally. Just a few things I'd try before relieving metal. Roll the internal tube on a flat surface, twist knob off the edge of the surface to see if its bent. Had issues with a Rossi tube some time ago, ended up replacing both tubes. Lets us know what you find

Papalote

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the brass tube and magazine. Nothing bent. Lubed it up and did just the slightest deburring of the slot in the mag tube. That helped. It's still stiff but manageable. I think it will loosen up a bit more with use. I'd rather have it a bit tight as opposed to loose.

Thanks for all the help guys.

T.S.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
If you paint the inner mag tube with Dykem, the tight spots will be apparent. Dykem is a deep blue marking dye used in metal machining. It dries quickly, and is easily removable with paint thinner, so you won't mess up the brass tube. You can find Dykem at most hardware stores.

Once you've found the tight spots, you can polish them with steel wool as Popalote suggested. However, problem is probably with the outer, steel, mag tube, likely near the mouth around the "J" shaped locking slot. I suspect the inside of the "J" is slightly bent inward.

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do you have to push in towards the receiver first then twist. my friend has one like that.
When I push the rod it doesn't really give. As Goldtrigger said, it is all in the O-ring. A thinner O-ring would make it easier to lock. I'll look into that.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
I agree with Mark. You have a chance to get it fixed right and not have to mess with it anymore. It will cost you zero $$. If you made a product and someone who bought it was having a problem wouldn't you want to make it right?

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Send it back, they have a fast turn around. I had to send one of mine in for some minor adjustments, think I had it back in 8 days or so.

Reactions: Texas Shooter

·
Registered
3 Posts
I posted about the same problem on a 45.70. I found it was the outer tube was deformed at the receiver, probably happened at test fire, and wasn’t caught. When I got it, had to use pliers to remove the inner tube. Henry sent me another tube, didn’t help. I took it back and got a BLR instead. Action is lots smoother too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is interesting, mine is very easy to open. Secure, but if you push and pull on the end of the tube you can move the inner mag tube ever so slightly forward and back when it is latched

1 - 18 of 18 Posts