Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for firsthand feedback from anyone who has changed their mag follower to something more compatible with Hornady Gummy tips, specifically 325 FTXs.

The guns are both JM stamped - one is a 1895G the other is a 1895GS.

I am one of those guys how can't help himself from tinkering with guns and I want to change mag followers to either aluminum, brass or stainless and I want something that works well with Hornady 325 FTX gummies.

I have looked at Wild West Guns, Beartooth, Ranger Point, etc...

Looking for firsthand experience with what works.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I have a stainless .35. 2 ea. 444P's and a 336 XLR 30/30. All with the factory followers. None have ever malfunctioned with Hornady plastic tip ammo.
Not sure the exact year, Marlin changed the followers in their lever actions to accommodate the gummy tips and added the follower with the dimple in it. Probably not long after the gummy tips were introduced.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Several companies sell them....just take your pick. They are hard to screw up, so they are all about the same. I don't remember the brand I got, but they are red.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Marlin used to send them out free if you called them, the red plastic ones. I went with a brass one.
I know a need a few more for my older rifles.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,048 Posts
Does anyone make followers from Delrin? Solid metal followers concern me with their weight, and mass under recoil. Delrin is extremely tough and has a frictional coeficient near Teflon.

Comments, please? AC

·
Registered
831 Posts
I bought the brass follower from Beartooth Mercantile.
Brass is more porous than stainless so I can wipe a thin film of Tetra grease into the brass pores.

I got rid of the Marlin plastic follower simply because plastic is cheap crap that degrades.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
976 Posts
Does anyone make followers from Delrin? Solid metal followers concern me with their weight, and mass under recoil. Delrin is extremely tough and has a frictional coeficient near Teflon.

Comments, please? AC
According to Marlin, the red factory follower is made from Delrin. I'm with you on this one. Most people just assume by looking at it that it's cheap plastic, but anyone who's ever machined delrin knows that it's not so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts