Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I acquired a 1968 336RC 3030 recently. I shot it a few time and with no problem and the did a complete disassembly and cleaned everything real good. A swabbed out the mag tube until it was real clean on the inside. I haven't shot it a lot, but I did today and a lot of times when I would be putting rounds in the tube I'd get a few in there and then the next one would go midway in and suddenly stop as if it was full. I'm wondering if the follower is getting stuck on something. I did notice when i disassembled that the sling stud mounts with a screw that goes all the way through between the barrel and the tube. The top of the tube had been shaved away to make room for this screw. It didn't go all the way through though and I couldn't see any kind of bulge on the inside of the tube in this area. I am planning to remove the tube tomorrow and see if I notice anything with the tube or follower. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
14,482 Posts
Sounds like the magazine spring is not properly seated up into the open end of the plastic or metal (or whatever material yours is) magazine follower, which causes the magazine follower to cock in the mag tube bore, and fails to accept ammo,fails to, feed , or causes a jam.

It happened to me after disassembly/reassembly...and that is what I found the problem was...I just didn't get the spring into the follower's end, or if I did , it slipped out when putting it in the tube. Either is pretty easy to do by mistake.

Very carefully remove the tube end cap and have a look. Or peek in there some other way .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I've been wondering if the follower might be cocked. I can tell it looking at it from the action. As soon as I finish my coffee I plan to start on it. I'm hoping I find something obvious. I didn't know about the mag spring having a small end. Maybe that is it.

·
Premium Member
14,482 Posts
I ALWAYS look at how the spring is situated, if any difference in size of coil from end to end BEFORE i removed it. It usually saves a lotof second guessing/trial and error reassembling..... heck I have even taken photos of things before disassembling them.

Reactions: Big Shrek

·
Administrator
23,784 Posts
Just for the info. When I clean a mag tube I also polish it and the follower.

I cut a 3/8 wide strip from one of the abrasive scrubbers available for scrubbing pots and pans.

Spiral wrapped around a bore brush it makes a good polishing tool.

Your follower I would chuck into a drill press and use 320 grit emery cloth if it's steel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I might have found the culprit. I couldn't tell that one side of the spring was bigger than the other, but the side that was in the follower had a little bend in it (see pic). I suspect this might have been making the follower cock a little. I flipped the spring around and loaded up the tube twice and it was real smooth. Next time I'm out shooting, I will load up a lot more than twice and see if I have any issues. Is one side of the spring supposed to have a bend like this? IMG_20170806_151215.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts