Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yellow Plastic
Yellow Product Plastic Baby toys

I got a 3d printer a few months ago for another prototyping project, but since I got it, Ive been having fun making things.
This is my latest new tool.. a compression part for the lee case trimmer setups. It fits tight on the trimmer, and a set screw to really tighten it down. it hasn't budged and is still rock solid for at least 3500 rounds over the last 3 months., and Ive swapped it between 4 different dies.. no issues yet.. I'm gonna probably print up one for each die..
Ive processed almost all my recent rifle brass with it on, and its awesome if i do say so myself!:rock: No more mangled, cramped fingers, no more slipping. it works great for the fact it makes a nice lever arm for tightening and loosening.

Anyhow, just showing off a bit, all proud of myself..:smile:

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hated having to use a wrench to tighten and loosen on certain calibers.. so I got a little creative. This is what I would call the 4th generation of it, but it works. no pliers, and not one slipped shell so far..
Im happy. Its in there pretty tight. I made it a tad undersized so you gotta slightly pry it open to get the shell holder in, then the screw really pretty much locks it in place.

I came up with it specifically so i wouldn't tear skin and beat up my fingers anymore without having to add another step of playing with pliers on each shell. and its performed just like I wanted.. no mangled fingers, no ripped skin, and best of all, no mangled shell holders due to pliers chewing them up.

it was surprising how just that little bit extra of a "lever arm" adds so much more torque to lock things down without extra tools in the process. next version, I might round over the edges a bit, but so far, I havent seen a need to yet.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pitch it to LEE! get a patent first. you could make some $$$$.
Thought about it! once I do the 10,000 cycles results, I may just be giving them a call.. so far, a bunch of my friends have one to beat up, and they're all really loving them and wanting me to make more for them.

·
Super Moderator
14,101 Posts
If you don't want to deal with Lee and even if they love they will want them dirt cheap I would at least sell them on Ebay. The shipping on those would be dirt cheap so you could sell a heap of them I am betting at a good profit.

·
Registered
21,196 Posts
If you don't want to deal with Lee and even if they love they will want them dirt cheap I would at least sell them on Ebay. The shipping on those would be dirt cheap so you could sell a heap of them I am betting at a good profit.
Sell 'em on Amazon and add a buck or two to cover shipping for the prime customers! You'll sell 10,000 of them overnight!

Reactions: flatsneck

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yup, That's the plan now! ebay is where I think they're headed shortly:thrasher:

·
Banned
619 Posts
I'm missing something. I trim my cases by chucking the cutter and length gage in a 1/2" Milwaukee drill. I hold the case in the Lee case holder and lock stud. How does your product improve my process?

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm missing something. I trim my cases by chucking the cutter and length gage in a 1/2" Milwaukee drill. I hold the case in the Lee case holder and lock stud. How does your product improve my process?
I kinda - sort of, basically do it the same way, just a bit different with some home made tools. This thing is just more-so a lever arm to help tighten it down on the case to help keep the case from slipping out of the holder.
and make it easier to "unlock" the brass without having to use pliers or tear up your fingers.

kind of an all in one addition. I had issues with some cases slipping out if i didn't really crank the holder down with pliers. and getting it back open was with pliers also.. I was in the "make a better mouse trap" mode. This , with just that little bit more lever action from the little arms helps torque down more and release easily, with no other tools to slow down the process and save my fingers.

one of my primary methods. it is basically same principal as your method, I just chuck the cutter in the lathe instead of a drill, and hold the case holder in my hand like you.

I attached the holder end into an old acrylic ball from a broken trackball mouse for a better grip. I used to have one I made out of a billiard ball, but it was just too big to handle and store.. so I downsized to a more manageable "handle" for a more comfortable grip.

Tool Tool accessory Clamp Drill accessories

·
Administrator
30,723 Posts
Folks, soliciting to buy sell or trade on the General Forums is strictly prohibited. Don't tread there!

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oops. sorry, wasn't my intention.

·
Banned
2,609 Posts
.... it is basically same principal as your method, I just chuck the cutter in the lathe instead of a drill, and hold the case holder in my hand like you.....
Actually that is the opposite of what he does. He (and I) chuck the shell holder (and therefore the brass) in the drill and hold the cutter. With a keyless chuck and a cordless drill, it's much faster than the other way around.

I like the part you made and it's very functional for people that use the Lee trimmer system like you. For others, buy the Lee part numbers 90608 (three jaw chuck) and 90607 (case spinner stud).

https://leeprecision.com/3-jaw-chuck.html

https://leeprecision.com/case-spinner-stud.html

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually that is the opposite of what he does. He (and I) chuck the shell holder (and therefore the brass) in the drill and hold the cutter. With a keyless chuck and a cordless drill, it's much faster than the other way around.

I like the part you made and it's very functional for people that use the Lee trimmer system like you. For others, buy the Lee part numbers 90608 (three jaw chuck) and 90607 (case spinner stud).

"I trim my cases by chucking the cutter and length gage in a 1/2" Milwaukee drill" from his previous post..

I also did, and do it the other way where I chuck the holder, and use the length gauge and cutter in my free hand sometimes as well. all the ways work in the end and my little DooDad works either way. .

Fun with 3D printers. heck. Im thinking of other things to tinker with right now..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.